Author Topic: Modelling hay bales?  (Read 2114 times)

dave n

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Modelling hay bales?
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
Does anyone have a good technique for modelling hay bales?  I'm looking for the square type, but would be interested to see methods for round also if you've done it.

thx
Dave

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
Re: Modelling hay bales?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
Faller has them. Maybe not the best looking ones but a good starting point.

http://www.ajckids.com/products/Faller/272562

Here is a picture what you get (Picture shows HO but number 272562 is, according to the Faller Website, the same in N)

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I'd think some round or square Evergreen shapes rolled in some long static grass fibers arranged somewhat parallel to eachother might be effective? Bands could be made from fine wire in the Jewelery aisle at the craft store. Possibly even start with the Faller bales and roll them in grass?

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
There are five or six different brands of N-scale hay bales available on ebay if you didn't want to make them from scratch. Make sure you look under the category of Toys and Hobbies>Model Railroads and Trains>N-scale.

I would also use a scale grass coating to enhance them. Only problem I see with that is you'll have to redo the strapping.
James R. Will

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
Dave,

I have done what Kalbert suggested above. Use slightly under scale styrene chunks painted hay color. While the paint is wet, flock them with fine timmings of static grass. The bands are so small, I didn't bother. In the grand scheme or things, you won't notice them missing.
Tony Hines

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:42:41 AM »
I made mine from felt.  Unfortunately, I have no idea where you would find the kind I used, as it came from work.  The job no longer exists, much less the Unisys NDP1150 check reader-sorter the felt strips came from!

It was a very dense, pale biege felt, about 3/32 inch thick, and came in strips 9/16 inch wide and about 3.5 inches long.  One might be able to find a similar material at craft shops.  If so, the method is easy.

Using the cheapest craft paints you can find, mix a a batch that matches your desired hay color.  Dilute that with water, quite thin, and dunk the felt strips in it.  Once they've absorbed the paint, squeeze out the excess and allow to dry thoroughly.  Then cut the pieces into whatever size bales you want.  I cut mine into bale-width strips, then cut the strips into bale-length pieces. 

Since the paint gets used up quickly, if you need a lot of bales, the color will vary a little from batch to batch, making for a nice mix in the finished stack or field.  In my case, it was also very cheap, using only a few cents worth of paint.  On the other hand, the coloring is quite messy, and should be done with lots of paper towels, and on a paint-proof surface, over a thick pile of newspapers, or outside.  Once it dries the cutting can be done anywhere.
N Kalanaga
Be well