Author Topic: Crushed Limestone Loads...  (Read 1654 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
Crushed Limestone Loads...
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:16:32 PM »
I see that Hay Brothers makes crushed limestone loads. Just curious... what is crushed limestone used for? Where would a difco dump car full of crushed limestone be delivered?

Hmm... that's something
I never thought about...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Re: Crushed Limestone Loads...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
crushed limestone is used in steel and cement production..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1141
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
...also as a flux in some smelting operations I believe.  At least Cominco's Trail/Tadanac lead/zinc smelter received limestone for that purpose.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I learn something new every day.

Hmm... and forget five or
ten things every day...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
Don't forget the agricultural uses. Lime is used to adjust the pH in soils.

Historically lime production was huge in my area of midcoast Maine. We had lime kilns all over the place. It supported a narrow gauge railroad built for the sole purpose of moving lime. We still have a large cement plant complete with a huge quarry
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:01:51 PM by mecgp7 »

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
Don't forget the agricultural uses. Lime is used to adjust the pH in soils....

Hmm... I like lime in
my (hic) cocktails...

"It works! It works!"

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +505
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:07:38 PM »
Limestone is carbonate rock and you fire it at high temperature to make Lime, which is the active ingredient in cement.  Lime is carried in covered hoppers because it reacts with water, while limestone is essentially unaffected by transport conditions.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
Limestone is also used at some power plants for their "Scrubbers" to remove pollutants caused from burning coal with high levels of sulfur and mercury. The by product after using the limestone is a synthetic gypsum which is then reused in making wallboard.

Hope this helps ya Kiz.

Jon

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »
In Texas there are unit trains that run from major quarries in the San Antonio/Austin corridor to Houston, Corpus and South Texas carrying crushed limestone for the construction industry. MP, MKT and SP were big players before it all became UP. There are rock jobs from southern OK that serve the D/FW area.

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
There's an abundance of limestone around here, often crushed limestone rock is used for ballast on industrial spurs, gravel roads & shoulders, parking lots, fill, base, you name it. #2 is pretty common, but anything from dust to boulders is available.

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
This has turned into a pretty interesting topic.

Hmm... considering it's
about rocks...

"It works! It works!"

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:21 PM »
In Texas there are unit trains that run from major quarries in the San Antonio/Austin corridor to Houston, Corpus and South Texas carrying crushed limestone for the construction industry. MP, MKT and SP were big players before it all became UP. There are rock jobs from southern OK that serve the D/FW area.

Southern Oklahoma, and also a huge series of quarries northwest of DFW about 45 minutes in Chico, TX served by UP. (ex-MKT/OKKT, ex-Rock Island)

As to having limestone in a Difco car, I'd say less common than seeing it in an Ortner, a Greenville, or a traditional gon, from my experience.  One exception I know of is the DM&IR, which runs unit trains of Difco-style cars to provide "tailings" similar to chat rock (crushed limestone) as heavy-duty gravel for roads in the area handling large iron ore mine equipment.  Chat is also used for parking lots of heavy equipment, and that is why a traditional MOW Difco on any railroad might have a load of it, for a MOW yard of some sort or possibly grade crossings.   I've typically only seen ballast or rip-rap in Difco's, personally, aside from the DM&IR loadout near the large ore docks that I saw firsthand during an FOBNR convention several years ago.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:51:37 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
The current issue of Trains, the cover story is about hauling rock for various uses.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
This has turned into a pretty interesting topic.

Hmm... considering it's
about rocks...

Ha ha ha, yep! Only a model railroader would be fascinated by the different uses and transportation methods for rocks....

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
I just got done reading that article in this months Trains magazine. Well worth the look.
TMM