Author Topic: Kato parts for Japanese locos  (Read 1074 times)

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
Kato parts for Japanese locos
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
Hello all,

I'm trying to track down a few specific Kato parts for a WM K-2 pacific kit bash. Here's what I plan to use.  I'm going to start with the C55, which has the correct driver diameter, and also has box pox drivers which is correct for the center driver on this particular loco.  I will need two spoked drivers from Kato's C57 for the outside drivers on my loco.  Where can I get spare parts for Kato's Japanese locos?  I also need a cylinder set from Kato's mikado.  Any ideas where I can find these parts? 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:36:53 PM by GaryHinshaw »

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1012
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Kato parts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
I don't know of anywhere to get replacement parts for the Kato Japanese prototype locos.  You will probably have to buy a C55 and C57 and cannibalize them.  Also, the C55 has all spoked drivers, not Box Pok style.
EDIT:  I think you just had them reversed.  The C57 has the Box Pok.  The C55 has the spoked.

And yet another edit!...
If you look at photos of the K-2 and the Kato C57, the Kato drivers have teardrop style cut-outs, but they are really
not the same as the WM engine.   Maybe you'll think this "fussy", but I think the C57 wheels have a very decidedly Japanese
prototype look to them that won't look right for the WM.  Not only that, but the K-2 had 68" drivers.  The C55 has more like 76", and considering our model-world oversized flanges, they will look even bigger.

I'm not trying to throw a wet rag on your idea, (even though it sounds like I am).  I just want to point out some issues
you may not like before you embark on it.  The hole pattern and driver diameter may not look too bad on the finished
model.  Only you can decide that.

I can see how the project will mechanically work, at least if the C55 and C57 have the same diameter so the mechanism
will function.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:46:02 PM by mmagliaro »

kornellred

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
Re: Kato parts
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
The KatoUSA website lists the Mikado cylinders (which come with all the appropriate running gear) as out of stock.  In fact, all of the Mikado parts that could be adaptable to other applications are out of stock - most likely, permanently.  That includes the coveted tender trucks.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +779
Re: Kato parts for Japanese locos
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
Might these be available in Japan?  You might try enlisting the help of MC Fujiwara to do some Japanese google searching on your behalf.

-gfh

P.S. I edited your thread title to better reach your target audience, but you might send MC a PM.

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the help,  I will do a little more research on the prototypes before I talk with MC.   As best I can tell, both the prototype C55 and C57 had 1750 mm drivers, which comes out darn near 69".  Of course this doesn't mean there are 1750mm drivers on the model  Since I model the early 50s, most of the center drivers on the K2s had been upgraded, but if I can only get the drivers by buying two complete locos, I can pass on this detail.  My idea for the box pox pattern was to 3D print an insert and open up the holes in the driver as needed.  I think this would work better on the Japanese box pox as opposed to spoked drivers. 

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
Hobby Search Japan also stock parts for Kato Japan locos so that might be an option.

Have you tried contacting Kato Japan directly?  I have in the past been successful in the past in getting extra shells for their 253 Series N'EX trains.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the mighty PRR!
  • Respect: +29
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »
You better have a WM I2 next on your list!  ;)
Modeling the PRR in N Scale
Fan of the Bellefonte Central Railroad
Garden Railroad Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
You better have a WM I2 next on your list!  ;)

Funny you mention that....   I have a piece coming from shapeways and an extra diver to stretch a Bachmann
2-8-0.  I'm working on some projects for some other clients, so it's coming along slowly, but it is in the works.  In the mean time,  I'm planning trip out to Hagerstown to take a few measurements of 202 later this fall.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the mighty PRR!
  • Respect: +29
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »
Funny you mention that....   I have a piece coming from shapeways and an extra diver to stretch a Bachmann
2-8-0.  I'm working on some projects for some other clients, so it's coming along slowly, but it is in the works.  In the mean time,  I'm planning trip out to Hagerstown to take a few measurements of 202 later this fall.
Sweet! I have your H9 on my to do list.
Modeling the PRR in N Scale
Fan of the Bellefonte Central Railroad
Garden Railroad Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler