Author Topic: Trainworx 86' Boxcars  (Read 1109 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +160
Trainworx 86' Boxcars
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »
I have to say these things are really, really COOL.  I like to stick with mostly 40' with a sprinkling of 50' cars due to my era and feel of my layout, but I saw a couple for a great price and I picked them up.  I got one 4 door and one 8 door both in Burlington.  Unusual for the prototype and unusual for my layout.  I have to say I was very impressed with them both and they look fantastic!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
Re: Trainworx 86' Boxcars
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
I agree. I picked up two for a steal and then found a few more. They are really sharp ... and big!
Bill McBride

HuskerN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »
I love both the Trainworx and the Bluford Shops versions.  I had an addiction to them about a year ago, and really enjoyed weathering them.  There is something about that huge 86' of boxcar.  I have plenty now to keep me busy weathering, otherwise I would be picking up a couple more.

they are really fun to weather, and I call them my "big ugly's"

HuskerN
www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com

jcox3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »
HuskerN,

Those look fantastic. Nice tips on your blog.

Great job on your Shapeways trucks, etc.

Joe Cox
Austin TX

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »
When I compare them to the old Con-Cor models I am just shocked at what "used to look good" compared to today's quality.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
    • Modutrak
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »
When the Bluford and Trainworx cars came out, I GAVE all of my ConCors away! Chevy plants and suppliers preferred the quad door cars, and Ford preferred the twin door versions. I have a Fast Ford that I run at shows on our layout with a combination of 85 and 60 foot boxes and some auto racks. Need to make up some flatcars with vehicle frame loads from Shapeways to round it out. For realism sake, probably best not to mix/match quad and twin door cars in same block of train, unless you have Chevy and ford plant in same town on layout!
Rick

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
If you are modeling the Se SF Bay area in the early 80s, I guess you could mix since GM had a plant in Fremont and Ford was just a bit farther down the road in Milpitas (?) I worked at the GM plant and we had internal trackage into the body shop but I never saw these 86' cars, just smaller box cars.

But, hey, it's a modeling world...
Bill McBride

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
Husker N, beautiful weathering job. Wish you did this on the side for folks. LOL

Seriously, I have quite a few of the Bluford Shops cars, and weathering is on my long "bucket list" too. Some year.....I hope.

I'll add more Bluford or Trainworx at some point, but just haven't been very active in modeling that last several years.

These "big" cars look great going around my looper layout. Just love them
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.