Author Topic: MTL August Announcements  (Read 3915 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Re: MTL August Announcements
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
I'd like to have that Halloween-ish boxcar from the weathered NS set

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... There, that's done.  :trollface:
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

ntex

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »
This is a second time that MT has released the same beer car and road number as Atlas.  Surely they can find a different car from the same picture book.

PGE-N°2

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
The MILW observation is correct for the model's prototype, but the model has an incorrect car name.

I will still probably go for one of them anyway.
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
I will still probably go for one of them anyway.

Change name, move on...........me too...........
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

PGE-N°2

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
Change name, move on...........me too...........

Changing the name isn't so big an issue: you'd need a magnifying glass to know from a normal viewing distance, and it's only a 1:160 ratio reproduction of railroad passenger car.

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:16 PM »
It's not a reproduction if it's incorrect, particularly when the model is prototypically accurate for another class and/or scheme of the railroad.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

PGE-N°2

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
Okay it's a representation of an actual railroad passenger car.

Perhaps we can offer our services as production designers to micro trains to do the next one  8).

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
The GN car is not accurate for the prototype.  For one thing, the GN's has a full centersill.  Picture of former GN 100041, series 100000-100049:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2817977
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=685589
Title:             BNFT 36
Description:     On the beam towards the front it says "Former GN 100041"
Photo Date:     11/25/2011  Upload Date: 11/25/2011 4:18:49 PM
Author:             Matt Hagfors
Categories:     RollingStock
N Kalanaga
Be well

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 02:24:51 AM »
Okay it's a representation of an actual railroad passenger car.

Perhaps we can offer our services as production designers to micro trains to do the next one  8).

Even though I am a Milwaukee Road modeler, I don't have a dog in this fight. Not my era or interest. I think the frustration stems from previous attempts by people on TRW to provide accurate car names/numbers for a given plan or body type only to have the information go unused. People that care about these things have tried to help. I can also empathize with MTL folks (mainly Joe) who must feel that each month is a new opportunity to be told that they are doing it wrong. IMO, in some cases it is justified, in others it's not.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 02:51:47 AM »
Maybe some at MT is asleep at the webpage...

Quote from: micro-trains
http://www.micro-trains.com/nr-1308_gn.php
Great Northern
Road Nunmber: GN 100030

This wood sheathed caboose with slanted cupola is painted brown with white herald and lettering. It was built in April 1905 by OWRR&N at their shops in Albina, OR. It was previously numbered LA&SL 130167 (Los Angeles & Salt Lake) and renumbered in August 1926 to LA&SL 3485. It was retired in May 1956.

#110 00 050...$27.50

But I'll probably get the GN tank car and the BN tank car runner pack due in Jan.

Also the misspelling of number, that was MT also.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
Even though I am a Milwaukee Road modeler, I don't have a dog in this fight. Not my era or interest. I think the frustration stems from previous attempts by people on TRW to provide accurate car names/numbers for a given plan or body type only to have the information go unused. People that care about these things have tried to help. I can also empathize with MTL folks (mainly Joe) who must feel that each month is a new opportunity to be told that they are doing it wrong. IMO, in some cases it is justified, in others it's not.

Best wishes, Dave

I'm kinda perplexed by the resistance to crowdsourcing and accessing knowledge resources.  Granted, it might mean leak of a release, or worse, leak of a release that ends up not getting produced, but that happens from the manufacturers themselves all the time.  Look at Kato's recent new freight car announcement.  Besides, as much as complaints are generated by such instances, buzz is too.  And late release/delivery or the like really does not keep us from buying a model we really want no matter how much we complain prior, it's the inaccuracy that kills the purchase.  At least it is for me.  PIC, both MTL and IMRC release beautiful meat reefer schemes, but they're both on a PFE body styles that are too far off from the prototype for me to buy.  It's a shame too, because they could have brand loyalty from me if they weren't such buffoons so often.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
At least IMRC's wood reefer happens to be an FGE prototype, which works well for me and other eastern modelers.

What irks me is when the model is prototypically correct for the prototype of a particular railroad, and then an inaccurate or bogus scheme is done.  I would have no issue with the MILW obs if the railroad never had the prototype.  All the CP cars are foobs and I have no problem with them, because CP didn't have these prototypes yet that segment of the customer base still must be served.  But MILW did own Plan 3959 cars, and more than a few, yet the MTL model is of a prototype that is not anywhere close.

It's better not to release the model at all, rather than release an incorrect one when an accurate one was within reach.

Note that nearly the entire collection of N manufacturers doesn't do this.  They release accurate schemes before foobs, and I can't recall any other manufacturer aside from Bachmann where a model released within the last decade would have been accurate for a particular road/scheme yet a bogus scheme purposely was released.  It's already happened at least a half-dozen times on MTL releases this year.  Bachmann's next example will be the Pennsy 55-ton hopper.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:29:48 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »
I understand the frustrations expressed here, and from where I stand much of it seems justified.  That said, let's refrain from calling the MTL employees "buffoons" here, please.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »

Center sill notwithstanding, I have recommended that MTL do a BN fuel tender scheme on this car, and I think it would instantly sell out a typical run.   They've done the SP version, and I believe the BN cars were in service much longer so I think their popularity--even as a foobie--would be very great.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.