Author Topic: Bachmann EM-1???  (Read 9764 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

reinhardtjh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3157
  • Respect: +423
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 06:35:09 AM »
0
Oh, that looks mighty nice.  Yeah, I'll end up with two.

Brokemoto: big steam sells because it's . . . Big.  Impressive even in N scale, and watching all the drivers and valve gear working is fascinating.  It's history and big-ness and mechanical marvel that sells big steam.  So bring on the Allegheny and the 2-10-4 and, and, and (hyperventilating) all that REALLY BiG STEAM!

John C.

Bachmann already did the C&O H-4 and H-5 2-6-6-2, a H-8 Allegheny would be perfect along with the T-1 2-10-4 ( which could be converted to a PRR J1! )  I wonder if this can be converted to an 2-8-8-2 H-7?
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 06:57:26 AM »
0
Some EM-1 photos on the branch that ended near my house:
http://cs.trains.com/ctr/m/bo-lake-branch/default.aspx
There is still a wye down the street that I can only guess was there to turn these beasts.
http://binged.it/128IHkk
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:14:54 AM by Chris333 »

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 07:33:07 AM »
0
When do we start the standard discussion of minimum radius for curves for this 2-8-8-4?
I looks like a big locomotive in the photo.
The 2-8-8-2s I own run okay on my layout, but have not run them much after I add DCC, they do not have decoders.
Still wish this came with sound, too.  ;)

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »
0
 ;) Has any dealer listed these to be reserved?  I see them at Walthers, so I am asking about dealers who focus on n-scale.  Thanks.

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
0
That should happen as soon as the part numbers are in the system for dealers to list. Should be happening VERY soon.

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
0
Walthers has part number listed: 160 = B'mann
160-80451      EM-1 2-8-8-4 DCC B&O 7600   N   
160-80452      EM-1 2-8-8-4 DCC B&O 7627   N   
160-80453      EM-1 2-8-8-4 DCC B&O 7604   N   
160-80454      EM-1 2-8-8-4 DCC B&O 7614  N
I am eager to order!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:46:22 PM by rogergperkins »

carlso

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1129
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +514
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
0
Caboose Hobbies has the EM-1 listed as "On Sale" at a very attractive price. FWIW!

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

superturbine

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 909
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +62
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
0
Why would an SP fan what one carl? :D    ......... AC-9?

carlso

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1129
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +514
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
0
You got that right Jason. I am sure that some young, talented, artistic scratcher can come up with the AC-9 boiler and appropriate tender. Don't you think? ? ?  I just hope that these perform well but must be real honest and say that I have reservations regarding that. We shall see.

Carl
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:49:20 PM by carlso »
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
0
Like Tony said . . . . . . . . .

I WANT ALL OF THEM !!!!!!
 :D

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

DaveB

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 59
  • Respect: +1
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
0
Any news on when the Fox Valley wagontop cabeese are likely to show up?

TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »
0
Can't wait to put them side by side with this to see how B-Mann did. The HO ones were not bad at all.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
0
Thanks for type about Caboose Hobbies listing them.
 :)
I see BLW now has them listed to reserve.   8)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:19:34 PM by rogergperkins »

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
0
Sound is still of interest to me, but I am not experienced at installing sound, and would not wish to practice on this locomotive.
When I priced having sound added to one or more of the Kato GS-4 locomotives, I was glad I was seated as it was substantially
more expensive than I anticipated and the waiting time was about 6 months.

Perhaps there are options for those of us who are not experienced at installing sound.  ??

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3561
  • Respect: +1933
Re: Bachmann EM-1???
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:08 AM »
0
Sound is still of interest to me, but I am not experienced at installing sound, and would not wish to practice on this locomotive.
When I priced having sound added to one or more of the Kato GS-4 locomotives, I was glad I was seated as it was substantially
more expensive than I anticipated and the waiting time was about 6 months.

Perhaps there are options for those of us who are not experienced at installing sound.  ??

Kato GS-4 sound installs are notoriously complex, usually consisting of two decoders, one to run the engine and one for the sound.  That's why the price is so high.

However, on this engine, if it's DCC ready, you could possibly just plug one in, and the only soldering you'd have to do would be the speaker leads.

The tender is large enough to accept a larger oval speaker, or a couple of smaller round speakers.  The important part is providing an airtight speaker enclosure and good venting to the exterior under your speaker cone, which would probably be firing downward.

I like the Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoders because of the equalizer feature in them.  Since speakers that will fit N-scale models are so small, there's no way they'll reproduce low frequency sounds, so I program the TSU decoders to only reproduce medium and high frequencies, which doesn't waste power for lower frequencies that can't be reproduced by the equipment anyway.

I'm thinking this big locomotive would be a good candidate to learn about sound installs, because truthfully, if you've got plenty of room for speaker(s) and their airtight enclosures, it's pretty simple.