Author Topic: UP water bottles in N scale?  (Read 4432 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +884
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
UP water bottles in N scale?
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
With Athearn's recent release of UP Challenger #3985, I'm wondering how much interest might be out there for N scale models of the aux water tenders that run behind said Challenger in UP's excursion trains? The old Con-Cor model is barely a foobie at this point and the Overland models are beyond scarce, so this seems like maybe a good opportunity for someone to do one (or both) of the newer style tenders -

Shapeways, anyone?  :)

Cheers,
-Mark

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:48:02 AM by spookshow »

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: UP water bottles in N scale?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
I have interest, in that I would probably buy one off shapeways or some derivative of that.   UP is not my primary modeling focus but I eventually would love to own a 3985 and some approximation of a business train behind it.   It will be way off down the road (Frisco 1522 will be my first steam project at some point) but I would buy the UP shell for future use.  And if someone did an accompanying etched fret then even better.   Are those trucks available somewhere already?
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »
The Con-Cor trucks are pretty good. Dunno if they're available for purchase separately.

-Mark

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
I have seen announcements from ConCor that seem to indicate these two big UP locomotives are up for re-run/re-release.
I focused on the U-50, not the turbine, so recall is sketching at best.  ;)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
The Con-Cor trucks are pretty good. Dunno if they're available for purchase separately.

Thanks.   I just sent Con-Cor an e-mail asking if they can be purchased separately, and suggested they churn out a few extras as the Turbine and U-50 go into production.

Doug
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
I have seen announcements from ConCor that seem to indicate these two big UP locomotives are up for re-run/re-release.
I focused on the U-50, not the turbine, so recall is sketching at best.  ;)

Yes, new DCC versions of the Con-Cor GT and U50 were announced a year or two ago (with tenders also available separately). According to their website, due late 2013 (for whatever that's worth).

-Mark

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Info about the new releases is here: http://www.con-cor.com/033021.html    You can buy the tenders separately--for those still OK with them as-is--but knowing Con-Cor they're probably gonna be $200 each.  (and the version with sound decoder may be $400)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:50:19 PM by Denver Road Doug »

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
I have the molds for these........ but have not proceeded with production.  It is pretty likely one will be produced by a major in the near future.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
Got a response back from Con-Cor:

We might be able to find you a pair, they are $19.98 each plus ship
and handling, allow a couple of weeks as we pick parts every 2nd
thursday and next date would be 13th July.

You an order on line at
http://www.con-cor.com/orders.htm

Happy Holiday
Con-Cor Trains

Not sure what these cars go for on eBay...might be cheaper just to try to find the car itself and salvage the trucks that way.   I will probably just "let the game come to me" and see if I can find one cheap on eBay or at a train show.   Or as has been mentioned, a UP business train has been rumored for some time so maybe Kato (or Athearn?) has something up their sleeve.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:09:43 PM by Denver Road Doug »

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1387
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
Not sure what these cars go for on eBay...

The turbine tenders typically go from $50-70 because folks want the foobie for their 3985. That's pricey for a pair of trucks.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Never trust anyone lacking a sense of humor.

jdg

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »
I would be interested in a few of the aux tenders or what you may have superturbine. Thanks.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 01:57:42 AM »
I have the molds for these........ but have not proceeded with production.  It is pretty likely one will be produced by a major in the near future.

I've heard the rumors of Kato producing an FEF-3 along with the appropriate cars for a modern U.P. excursion train.  Hope the rep was correct, but that's been 9 months ago, and the release date was the first quarter of this year, which has come and gone. 

But, I'm still harboring hope for the FEF-3... :)

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 06:17:12 AM »
I would be interested in a few of the aux tenders or what you may have superturbine. Thanks.

Me too.

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
Speaking of UP's excursion train, there's a guy over on Trainboard (and maybe here too, I dunno) who sells custom flag decals for the Council Bluffs car -

He can be contacted at jagowers2000@gmail.com (he posted his email addy there, so I assume it's OK to post it here).

-Mark

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »
Speaking of UP's excursion train, there's a guy over on Trainboard (and maybe here too, I dunno) who sells custom flag decals for the Council Bluffs car -

He can be contacted at jagowers2000@gmail.com (he posted his email addy there, so I assume it's OK to post it here).

-Mark

I really think you guys should be patient ....about 6 or 7 months.