Author Topic: Help- Have Brooklyn Loco Works Newsletter ??????  (Read 1772 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • My website
Help- Have Brooklyn Loco Works Newsletter ??????
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:42:13 AM »
I could use some help.

Does anyone have a collection of BLW newsletters that date 1982-1988?
I have the years after that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron Bearden
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2812
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Help- Have Brooklyn Loco Works Newsletter ??????
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:15:17 AM »
Wow!  That's a blast from the past.  I never collected them but I think I might have couple from the late 80s.  I think that I also have few newsletters from the TrainMaster.
. . . 42 . . .

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:17 AM »
Ron,

I have BLW newsletters from July 1981 through September 2001.  Some may be missing the back page (order form). I haven't looked at these in years, but always enjoyed reading them since they seemed to have info on the latest news and lots of other good info.  PM me if you want these.

Scott

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1367
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
Yes, I have them for historical reference.  What information do you need?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »
Well, I'm thinking the BLW newsletter will be the most historically accurate source for when Kumata brass locos were released.   I have all the BLW newsletters from about 1988 to about 1999, and I found the exact date that Pete got in:
The Pennsy Baggage car
The Silverliner
and the New Haven Washboard

So what I'd like to do is search every one from about 1982-1988.  And write down the exact date each Kumata loco was released (and price).

That would be a lot of work for someone- and I would love to do it if someone wants to place them in a box and send them to me.  I could have them returned in a week.  And I'll pay all postage.

One reason this is important is because Spookshow has done an absolutely marvellous job of tracing down date for locos.  But based on a comment to me, I don't think he relied on BLW newsletters.  For example, if a loco was reviewed in the December 1985 issue of Model Railroader....... well, MR has a lead time of probably at a minimum of 4 months.  And they don't review something necessarily as soon as they get it-- they only do so many an issue.  Soooooo, something reviewed in 12/85 COULD have been released almost a YEAR before that date.

I'm tracing the development and changes to the KMT drive chassis, and I would like to be able to with about 100% certainty say this loco came out here, then this one came out..... etc.  One of the things that is confusing to me currently is motor development.  KMT used primarily 2 motors, one with flat magnets and one that is MUCH better with curved magnets.   Well, my current timeline has KMT going back and forth-- and that doesn't make sense.

Take the Centipede (as we have been discussing lately).  It is so radically different from all other Kumata locos (and inferior to them), I'd like to say with certainty when it came out.  One source says it came out about the same time as the EP-2 Bipolar---- but the EP-2 is a much more advanced design.

Obviously, someone could do the research work for me...... but I hate to ask someone to do that. That's why I was suggesting mailing them to me for a week.

Can anyone help?
Thanks for your interest.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
Alternatively
The Freight Yard also sent out mega page monthly newsletters back in the day.  I recycled mine many years ago but this could be a resource if anyone saved them...
Support fine modeling

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »
Ron,

I have BLW newsletters from July 1981 through September 2001.  Some may be missing the back page (order form). I haven't looked at these in years, but always enjoyed reading them since they seemed to have info on the latest news and lots of other good info.  PM me if you want these.

Scott

Scott,
I sent you a PM.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +679
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
Wow!  That's a blast from the past.  I never collected them but I think I might have couple from the late 80s.  I think that I also have few newsletters from the TrainMaster.

TrainMaster...they were in Indiana, correct?  They were my first ever mail order N Scale experience as a teenager because they allowed COD payment.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »

TrainMaster...they were in Indiana, correct?  They were my first ever mail order N Scale experience as a teenager because they allowed COD payment.

The Train Master Ltd. was based in Albany NY.  I bought lots of things from them in the 80s and 90s.  I didn't see COD listed in their 1990 catalog but maybe they used to allow it in the 80s.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +679
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
The 80's is when it would have been and Albany, NY may very well be right.  They were the first mail order I remember that catered primarily to N Scale.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »
The 80's is when it would have been and Albany, NY may very well be right.  They were the first mail order I remember that catered primarily to N Scale.

Not primarily but exclusively. Unless they had a separate H0 catalog...
. . . 42 . . .

Frisco Larry

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »
I would think Rio Grande Hobbies "Grande Gram" would be a better source.  I don't remember BLW being into brass nearly as much Rio Grande, (virtually all of my brass came from RG)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
I would think Rio Grande Hobbies "Grande Gram" would be a better source.  I don't remember BLW being into brass nearly as much Rio Grande, (virtually all of my brass came from RG)

How about Tex-n-Rails?
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
Hi All,
Scott just called me and he'll send me/loan me his BLW newsletters from the 80s.
That should have the info I need.

However.   If I can't find something out precisely, I'll post a specific question.

Appreciate everyone's interest.

Ron
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
Ahh, memories. I had completely forgotten about both Tex-N-Rails and BLW's newsletters but now recall waiting every month to get them in the mail. Thanks for the flashback (I am NOT old).
Sacramento Valley NTrak