Author Topic: CA Help  (Read 681 times)

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
CA Help
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:32:28 PM »
   I have recently started working on a Kalso kit and I CA'd the front steps to the shell.  It has come up a little short for the mechanism.  Am I out of luck or is there something I can do to take them apart again?  All solutions welcome.  It is a SD50F kit and a SD50 mechanism.  I am trying to avoid getting another kit.  I dont think there is enough room to file inside of front steps. 

Thanks

Dave t

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
Re: CA Help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »
Despair not! There is some solvent for CA, but I can't remember what it is. Someone will chime in with the correct info.

Hmm... Kiz can't
remember because he's
old and dried up...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2812
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
Unfortunately most CA debonders I know of also attack (melt) plastics used on locomotive shells (ABS or polystyrene).  After all, cured CA glue is actually type of acrylic plastic.

But if the glued items were resin and metal then CA debonders will most likely not attack the resin.  Even ordinary acetone will soften and eventually dissolve hardened CA glue. Normally acetone does not attack polyurethane resin (but test before using).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:54:54 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »
Your LHS, if they have a good selection of CA glues, will also have CA de-bonder.  I've never used it on anything except my track, so I know it doesn't attack Delrin.  Try it on a scrap piece if you have one before using on plastic. 

It turns the hardened CA into jelly and you can roll it off.  However, if you let the debonder evaporate, the CA will get hard again.