Author Topic: The Kumata brass hospital is opening. Please Help!  (Read 2388 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
    • My website
The Kumata brass hospital is opening. Please Help!
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:57 AM »
Help make History!

I am writing a PhD dissertation (well, it sure seems that way) on EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know about Kumata locomotives.  Especially how to get them to run (most don't) and even run well most of the time!!!!  At present my article is approaching 30 pages.  And I plan to release it FREELY to the internet universe in the future as a free PDF on my website.  It may/will be the single most comprehensive source of information for N scale Kumata locomotives- at least that's what I'm shooting for.  It will be too massive to publish in a magazine- and it's a niche group of readers anyway.  I could publish this as a cheap e-book, but I do not feel right about making a little money when I'm asking people to help me.

And I do need help.  I only own three KMT locos and I need more.  I could make educated guesses based on experience- but nothing compares to the real thing in your hands.

A few locos share the same drive train.  For example, I own an RS-2 so I don't think I need an RS-1 and RS-3 (unless someone wants to send me some just to photograph- which I would appreciate).  I also own a B&O EA set which is pretty similar to the other Es- but actually, there are some differences!  Also, while the RS-2 is pretty limited in running quality, I bet I could get a 6-axle RSC-2 or RSD-4/5 to run pretty well.

So here is what I have and therefore do NOT need.
RS-2
Trainmaster
B&O EA/EB.

But I would LOVE to borrow any other Kumata loco on the following list below if you would share it with me.
Obviously, I would prefer an unmodified loco.  If it has already be remotored or changed, that is less helpful.

What I will get out of all this-
-a lot of work 
-complete exhaustive and accurate hands-on information.
-good photography of what I want to show.
-maybe some new ideas, thanks to you.

What you will get:
-I offer to pay the shipping.  That could even get expensive if I have a lot of people help, but it will be worth it.
-I will even offer to improve your loco if you want- for free.  Send me a typical non-running Kumata and I can probably get it running as long as the motor is not actually burned up.
-My thanks and a by-line of everybody who helped me at the end of the article.
-Comfort in the thought that you helped other people like yourself with what WAS a disappointing shelf queen.
  Mark Spookshow and Loren Perry have already been a help.
-Some day- maybe- your Kumata locos will be worth MORE because of all this.  First, since yours will run! And maybe with time auction prices may go up as more people who had given up on these start buying them.

Here is what I would love to borrow (remember- all Kumata/Japan,  not Samhongsa/Korea):

EMD SD40-2, Hallmark/Kumata (Japan)

Alco RSC-2 (or 3?  Not sure), Hallmark/Kumata (Japan)

Alco RSD-4/5, Hallmark/Kumata (Japan)

Baldwin DR-12-8-3000 Centipede, Hallmark/Kumata (Japan)    Wonderful.  This is probably the sickest patient

CMSt.P&P EP-2 Bi-Polar, NJ Custom Brass/Kumata (Japan)  one lined up, yay

EMD E3/6A & E3/6B, Hallmark/Kumata (Japan)

EMD E5A & E5B, Hallmark/Kumata (Japan)

EMD E1A & E1B (Super Chief), Oriental Ltd/Kumata (Japan)

New Haven Washboard MU, NJ Intl/Kumata (Japan) on the way too, thanks

PRR Electrics, NJ Intl/Kumata (Japan)

Budd Silverliner, NJ Intl/Kumata (Japan)

What about Spookshow?
Well, I would not have even done this if it were not for him- and he has my thanks within the first three paragraphs!  But this work far exceeds the more succinct work he's doing.  This really will be a small book by the time it's finished.

Further, I've been in contact with him already and his curiosity is piqued!  He's even bought more Kumata brass as a result of our exchanges!  LOL

AND.... I'm putting my money where my mouth is.  I'm sending him all of my modified Kumata locomotives so he can see what a HUGE difference can be made in these otherwise poor locomotives. When I got them, NONE ran more than 2 feet.  Now they can run continuously for hours.  I'm curious to see how he rates them now?

If you would like to help, use my email...

the big heap at gmail dot com

Take out all the spaces and run those three words together.
If you want, I can even email you my cell phone if you have specific concerns you want to talk about.  You could private message me too, but that might take a bit more time.

And one last note.  I'm fully aware that some of these are really expensive.  I promise to be as careful as possible, and I know this is a BIG ASK.  But look at it this way.  Send me your beautiful (but expensive) piece of crap Centipede that does not even pull its own weight- if it even runs at all, and I fully expect to send you a RUNNING loco that can pull some cars.  Hey!  Instead of it being worth 800-1100 dollars, maybe it will be worth 1500 by the time I get finished with it!!! LOL.

So Send me your Kumata crap!

And check back in a few days (at least by next weekend).  I should have a video of how mine runs so you can see for yourself.

Thank you for reading this.  I appreciate your time.
And sorry for posting on two boards- just trying to reach as many as possible.
Ron Bearden
u18b.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:13:04 AM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: The Kumata brass hospital is opening. Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
Not trying to piss on your parade Ron but are there really that many Kumata brass N scale models out there to make this effort worth your while?  N scale brass appears dead and if anything, there will be less and less brass N scale models (not just Kumata but all makes) as the time goes by.
. . . 42 . . .

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
Many
owners probably have these in 'someday' storage.  Someday I will tinker with them, but today is not that day.  Tomorrow is not looking too good for tinkering either. 

Potentially this 'rising tide wll lift all boats' and improve the value to the point that they leave storage and again ply the rails.  If there is a reasonable fix for a model that might otherwise never see the light of day, that glimmer of hope could get it out of a closet and listed on ebay for a new owner to enjoy...
Support fine modeling

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
peteski,
It's not work if you are passionate about what you do and you love it. 
 8)
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
My Bi-Polar has needed hospitalization for a long time.  Watch your email.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Whoopi!

This is one of the ones I was really hoping for.

With all those wheels, and the design of the motor, I feel pretty confident this could be an excellent runner.

Thanks..... the Doctor is in!

:lol:

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
peteski,
It's not work if you are passionate about what you do and you love it. 
 8)

Well then Ron, you do have a point. Enjoy!
. . . 42 . . .

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »
Ron,
 If the N EP-2 is built anything like the HO, it will take some work. Fortunately for HO, NWSL makes a gear set to solve the biggest problem, crappy nylon gears. The HO was done with two motors, one for each half of the loco. It will be interesting to see how the N is done.
Tony Hines

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:47 AM »
Spookshow has a good writeup on it already.

http://www.spookshow.net/njep2.html

Two motors, yes.

But Kumata uses all brass gears in N scale.

But Spook's focus is on information for basic informed purchase.  I'm interested in fixing them and making them run like the pearls they can be.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1368
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:49:42 AM »
I have one of the NH Washboard consists.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
That's wonderful, Bryan.  The passenger/doodlebug stuff is where I'm lacking some very detailed info.

Thanks!
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
I've got a Baldwin Centipede if you want to check it out.  Send me a message here with info.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Son of DKS
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
I know someone who has the Pennsy MP-54 set, but it was recently equipped with a DCC decoder, and remotored. If you would still be interested in taking a look at them, I'll see about getting them to you.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher - Modeler of the PRR, PRSL, GWR, SZD, and DRG

WWII Clerk/Administration Historian

Switchboard Technician - 33rd Signal Construction Battalion (reenacted)

Squadron Clerk - Capital Wing, Airmans Preservation Society

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
I've got a Baldwin Centipede if you want to check it out.  Send me a message here with info.

Bob,  That is wonderful!  Based on all I have read and heard from speaking to people, the Centipede- which was a great prototype- was the worst loco Kumata made.  It is rather astounding they let it out the door.  And maybe even more astounding Hallmark accepted it.  How do you sell a loco that slips so badly it doesn't hardly move?

Sending you a PM.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
I know someone who has the Pennsy MP-54 set, but it was recently equipped with a DCC decoder, and remotored. If you would still be interested in taking a look at them, I'll see about getting them to you.

-Cody F.

Hi Cody.
Original is better, but if all they did was change out the motor, then I can still gain a lot of very detailed info from it.
It will be a good backup plan. 

Hopefully someone else might have that set.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist