Author Topic: N-Scale Locomotive Re-Railer  (Read 1465 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +84
N-Scale Locomotive Re-Railer
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
Anyone know of a manufacturer for these?  The MBE ones are not accurate representations and I can't find any others.

Doug

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: N-Scale Locomotive Re-Railer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
Sunrise made these that looked pretty accurate to me, but, alas, no Sunrise. I really miss them! I do not know of any other mfg. I have one package of 3 left. If you need just one I could send one to you but you probably need more than one.

Steve

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +72
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »
Doug,

Among the masters for my Period Miniatures lineup is an ex-N Scale of Nevada brass master for a butterfly (along with another brass master for a standard) rerailer; which is like the one that is pictured in your prototype photo.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +76
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
If any one knows where this type of re-railer can be obtained, I'd be interested, too. CN used them on a lot of power.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Plumcrazy

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
Hi all, I think Miniatures by Eric makes  that type of rerailer

Alex

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
Steve:  Thanks for the offer but yes, I will need more than one.

pmpexpress:  If your post was a query as to whether I would want some, the answer is yes <g>.

Alex:  The MBE ones are nothing like the one shown in the photo.  Unfortunately.

Doug

Zox

• Crew
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
What exactly are we looking at here? The yellow bit hanging from the truck?

Does anyone have information (drawings, dimensions, etc.) of the prototype? If it's as flat as it looks, it seems like the sort of thing that could be easily compu-knifed with a Silhouette cutter...
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:43:33 AM »
Yes, it is the "yellow bit".  As for flat, that one certainly looks flat, but others I've seen have raised edges to guide the wheels.  Different styles, maybe?
N Kalanaga
Be well

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
I thought the title of the post would adequately describe which part is shown in the photo.  Maybe I assumed too much <g>.  Anyway, the prototype re-railer  is about 2-3 inches thick and has a slight bow in it so simply etching one would not work.   The one that Sunrise Models made was perfect.  Maybe someone who is into styrene or metal casting could get hold of the Sunrise version and make these.  I have one left I would be happy to donate to the cause.   I'm sure they would sell well.  I know I would buy a bunch.

Doug

Zox

• Crew
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Anyway, the prototype re-railer  is about 2-3 inches thick and has a slight bow in it so simply etching one would not work.

I guess I'm not following the logic here. You're saying that it's somewhere around 0.015" thick in N scale, which might be too thick for etching (or might not be; I'm not that familiar with the process). But that wouldn't be unreasonable for a cutter to slice out of paper or styrene, which is what I was suggesting.

As for a "slight bow," that's a feature that's easily added after-market, as it were. :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
ZOX:  It's hard to describe unless you've seen one.  In the photo, the left side of the re-railer is the thickest part and it tapers off toward the right side.  This would be hard to etch, I would think.  This part is much better suited to casting rather than etching.  I wish I had a more descriptive photo of the re-railer to show you but I can't find one.  I know nothing about the casting process but I have seen re-railers that were cast, Sunrise for example, and they are superb.  Hopefully, someone will take this on.

Doug

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »
I found this online:

http://www.rrtools.com/trackAccessories/Rerailer.asp

Interesting.

Hmm... ouch! look at
the prices...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"