Author Topic: Canyon Pass Layout Kit  (Read 1295 times)

fullsteam88

• Respect: 0
Canyon Pass Layout Kit
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
I was digging for door sized layout plans the other day and came across a really cool looking kit from Mainline Trains.  They call it the Canyon Pass, having a deep canyon cut on one side and a flat area for a town and industries on the other side.  I guess I was wondering if anybody had used this kit before and found it to be worth the money?  Also, do you think it would be a viable layout kit to use for late 90's CSX West Virginia coal country?  A link to the kit is below.

http://mainlinetrain.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7&products_id=1

Thanks,
Ryan

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +505
Re: Canyon Pass Layout Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Welcome aboard!

It looks pretty good, but you could probably do it yourself with Woodland Scenic foam grades and insulation sheets.    I suspect the grades on this are pretty steep, which may be an issue for operating.  Still, I like the canyon part, and you could tune the flat area for your needs.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +779
Re: Canyon Pass Layout Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
I agree with Scott that this looks like a cool plan, but the grades will be pretty steep. Based on the overall dimensions of 36x80", I'd estimate that the run from the switch at the back to the bridge at the front will require about a 4% grade.  This will limit your train length, but so does the overall size of the pike, so maybe that's ok.

It says it made from EPS foam - the white packaging kind.  That does not do very well with carving, but it's probably ok if you don't plan to reshape any terrain.

-Gary