Author Topic: Problem N scale LifeLike GP60 Truck  (Read 1337 times)

cholmes

• Respect: 0
Problem N scale LifeLike GP60 Truck
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:40 AM »
The front truck of my LifeLike N scale GP60 has bound up and won’t roll.  Does anyone know of a website that explains or shows how to disassemble N scale trucks?  Assuming the worst and knowing that Walthers does not stock replacement parts, has anyone tried using an Atlas geared truck in a LifeLike engine?

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +262
Re: Problem N scale LifeLike GP60 Truck
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
Disassembling is not super difficult.   Take a small screwdriver and release the tabs on the bottom of the truck and the sideframe piece will come off and you can take out he axles and gears.  Putting it back together is the hard part. :D

I would contact Walthers before trying to substitute parts.  They may actually have some, they just don't put it online.  Some people have gotten what they need.

cholmes

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Thank you very much for your help. I was able to disassemble the truck and found that some grit had fouled the gears. Also found that one of the gear shafts was mis-shapen. Now have to find a replacement truck.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +448
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
I believe I heard somewhere that at least certain Atlas GP trucks can be used in the LL GP60. I cannot confirm this though.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
If I recall correctly, the GP60 trucks are the same as the GP20 trucks.  Those can be swapped for Atlas GP trucks on the GP20, so I see no reason why it couldn't be done on a GP60.
Aaron Bearden

oakcreekco

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
I had a defective truck a few years back on a LL GP60. At that time, they didn't have any spare trucks to offer, or spare parts.

I installed a pair of Atlas GP40 trucks into the LL GP60 with no problem, and it runs just fine.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +2609
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
Hopefully, you will find that the Atlas trucks do fit.  But, be careful to get the correct representation of a Blomberg truck on your GP60, i.e., use a version of a Blomberg M, not a Blomberg B, sideframe.  Check your prototype for verification of the sideframe you should use.

Hope this helps,
DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer

cholmes

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:03:45 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their replies!  I just installed a pair of Atlas GP trucks and the engine now runs quietly and smoothly!