Author Topic: Re-numbering Kato engines  (Read 1449 times)

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re-numbering Kato engines
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
I tried searching and couldn't find this topic already covered so here goes....

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the numbers from the cab on Kato engines...specifically the GS4?  I'd like to renumber some of mine without damaging the paint underneath.  I have the microscale decals to create just about any number I want, but I really don't want to have to repaint the cab or tender out of fear I'd never get it to match the rest of the engine or the passenger cars.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Re-numbering Kato engines
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:31:50 PM »
Though not a GS4, I have had some luck removing Kato lettering by moistening a pencil eraser with 91% rubbing alcohol and rubbing gently. I say "some" because in a couple of cases the alcohol went off to places I didn't want it to and started to attack striping that happened to be the same color. I now mask around the lettering area to contain the solvent.

Doing this will leave the "erased" space polished, but should not be an issue if you apply Dullcote or similar after you decal.

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »
I have used an electric pencil eraser (AA battery power) as well as a toothpick dipped in 91%. Works pretty well. Bob.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »
91% alcohol and a q-tip

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4612
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »
Which GS4?  The black wartime one or one of the colorful ones?
If it is the colorful one, I would be leery of trying to remove the cab numbers.  Why? because the same pad-printed ink that is used for numbers is also used for the decoration under the numbers. So, you'll be erasing the number and the pad-printed decoration under the number.  You'll end up simply with a patch of black.
. . . 42 . . .

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:28:56 AM »
Give it a shot, you know you have access to 30 replacement cabs. :D.

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »
 :) I do not get the joke about replacement cabs for the Kato GS-4.  Kato USA does offer parts, however not for the cab.
If I were renumbering the black version, I would do a paint over and apply new numbers.

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
Phillip and I are buddies and I have a drawer full of GS4 parts from engine conversions. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:01:23 PM by superturbine »

Norway2112

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »
Phillip and I are buddies and I have a drawer full of GS4 parts from engine conversions.  So I guess its not a a joke :D

I hope it remains a joke, but if this goes south I may need a cab!  I plan to strip a few of them and paint them all black without skirts anyways, so if the underlying orange gets messed up I'll devote that one to being an all black engine.

Norway2112

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
so testing the alcohol approach had the following results.....the black outlining the numbers came right off.  Then unfortunately the orange was the next color to start coming off leaving the silver numbers behind.

Looks like I need to start mixing some orange paint if I plant to renumber some of them and keep them in Daylight colors!

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
Phillip,

Have you ever tried a #22 Curved Exact blade and CAREFULLY scraping the road number off? I have had success with this method when renumbering IM ACs. I myself would like to change a 4453 into 4458 (aside from a few others). I would advise using an opti-visor when trying this method and perhaps practice on a spare boxcar first.
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Norway2112

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »
Mike,

How are you going to depict the roller bearing trucks on 4458?  I have been tinkering with grafting on some roller bearing side frames on the tender and trailer truck to make this very change too.

My overall plan is to have Keep 4449 and 4450 in Daylight colors, as both engines carried them later than most of their fleetmates.  Then I want to do a 4447 or 4444 in unskirted 50/50 Black/Daylight.  Then the rest of mine will be black unskirted versions and I'm pretty open on number choices so long as I stay away from engines with Scullen Disc drivers.

Phillip