Author Topic: Life Like Water Tower & Switch Tower Kit  (Read 1833 times)

Pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Life Like Water Tower & Switch Tower Kit
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »
I just got a Water Tower & Switch Tower kit off of Ebay. Item No 7409 and a quick google search didn't even find it.
My question, does anyone know what prototype these are based on. The Water Tank is a pretty generic wood type of about 50,000 gals. And the switch tower even comes witha light (small 1  inch high light bulb).

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
Re: Life Like Water Tower & Switch Tower Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
You may need to post a picture of it and/or change the post title to something like, "Does anyone know about...". I can't recall anything about it. I'm sure someone on here does.
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

CoalPorter

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
If  it was what Im thinking of, I hope you did not pay something like 17 for it ?
I usually find the switch tower (used) at train shows for $1 then repaint and weatrher and
resell for 5 or 6.
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
Yes that is the kit. It came with another kit and was basically an add in and only in the plastic bag no box. maybe a couple of bucks. Anyway the box art does say american prototype, but not which prototype.
Anyone know which one?

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
If it's an old LL kit, it is quite possible there is no exact prototype. 
Aaron Bearden

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:39:36 AM »
 :|           The Life Like Water Tank and Signal Tower were offered ready to run as was an SP station,General Store and two houses, by Revell Rapido. I have these,the station is on my layout see photos of Riverside. AHM then issued a kit for atleast the station,Store,and houses,which I purchased. Later Life Like also offered the station as a kit as well as the Water Tank and Tower. I also purchased the station kit again. Currently Bob Gilmore is re working my AHM kit of the station with finer scale less 1960'era corse details to replace the station on my layout. Lastly Walthers (Wally World) is now selling some of items as built ups.Station,Water Tank,Tower,store now a Tavern.Nate Goodman (Nato).

Freight Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »
Was this the set but in kit form??  First got this for Christmas (70 or 71) by Revell as a built up. Seen the kits later under AHM then later Lifelike.  I like that set and the combination station that went along with it. Have all those kits on my current layout. Don't know if those were fashioned from real structures....but cool anyway.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Revel-Water-Tank-Switch-Tower-Set-Built-Up-2902-N-scale-Lot-/170999359669?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item27d05b28b5

The Revell combination station  shown here came with a semaphore  train signal that mounted on the front deck and included a extra loading dock with ramp. Later versions didn't included the ramp in kit or built up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-rain-Station-Depot-Marysville-Real-Neat-Building-Model-Trains-/170999246854?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item27d0597006
The station was better in kit form so you could built, detail & paint it the way you want. Seen some of these that were built up and look to have been taken a bath in modeling glue
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:12:17 PM by freight Train »
Phoenix Southside Connecting Railroad (H0)
Moose River Railroad (N)