Author Topic: New KATO Unitrack Crossover...  (Read 2195 times)

DMU-Fan

• Respect: 0
New KATO Unitrack Crossover...
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
Digging around on katousa.com today and found this...it's on the Japanese page, so I can't read any details...but I want a pair!!!!!

http://www.katomodels.com/cgi-bin/nmi_zoomview.cgi?id=unitrack_v15&num=5&cue=rewrite

DMU-Fan

Re: New KATO Unitrack Crossover...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
Okay, I google translated it, and it looks like its number 4's (sadly) which you could already fit into the 33mm spacing...it also said its going to be released "soon"...

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Why not just use the double  X over

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3794
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
Why not just use the double  X over

Because double crossovers are extremely rare in North American railroading.  Modern light rail or subways use them, but traditional railroads here very rarely do.  A crossing diamond is a maintenance headache, and since there is usually plenty of room for a second crossover, most railroads opt for that.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
How about the wooden vs concrete ties.   Has Kato ever done that sort of thing before in the US?

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
Because double crossovers are extremely rare in North American railroading.  Modern light rail or subways use them, but traditional railroads here very rarely do.  A crossing diamond is a maintenance headache, and since there is usually plenty of room for a second crossover, most railroads opt for that.

I didn't know that. I learn something every day here on TRW.

Hmm... too bad it doesn't
apply anywhere else...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

DMU-Fan

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
Dave beat me to the answer. An excellent example of the principle is at the Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego. The San Diego Trolley uses a set of double crossovers (also known as a diamond crossover) just to the north of the station, while COASTER and Amtrak use a set of single crossovers (also known as a universal crossover). The diamond crossover is sandwiched in between the platform and the next cross street. The universal crossovers span the next two blocks!

Also, the use of wood ties and concrete ties is very accurate. Most switches are still on wood ties. Cheaper and more flexible to construct. Many new transit projects are moving to concrete tie switches as the cost comes down (many of the recent light rail projects in Salt Lake used concrete tie switches).

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
I contacted Kato USA about the 19"/15.5" or whatever double track curves that are already available in Japan; Kato USA said if it is released in Japan it will be brought to the US, so expect same for this crossover.

;) Personally I am in a transition phase and hope to change most of my mainline to Atlas n-scale code 65 True-Track which I ordered directly from Atlas.

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
There is a new turnout too. UNITRACK-Compact-Electric-Turnout-150mm-45 degree. Sorry no pic, but they are on ebay.

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »
Here is a pic:

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:26:09 PM »
I didn't know that. I learn something every day here on TRW.

Hmm... too bad it doesn't
apply anywhere else...

Even more learning...

They're called a scissors or diamond crossover if the crossovers bisect themselves... a double crossover in proto speak pair of crossovers that don't.

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
Many new transit projects are moving to concrete tie switches as the cost comes down (many of the recent light rail projects in Salt Lake used concrete tie switches).

NS has a few test concrete tie turnout installations in my area... the verdict is still out on them though... they need many more MGTMs.

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
Digging around on katousa.com today and found this...it's on the Japanese page, so I can't read any details...but I want a pair!!!!!

http://www.katomodels.com/cgi-bin/nmi_zoomview.cgi?id=unitrack_v15&num=5&cue=rewrite

Nice looking item; could probably use a couple of those myself...

Mark in Oregon

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
Even more learning...

They're called a scissors or diamond crossover if the crossovers bisect themselves... a double crossover in proto speak pair of crossovers that don't.

Owww, my brain... the pain, the pain...

Hmm... and the Oscar goes
to Kiz for overacting...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Robbman

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
Owww, my brain... the pain, the pain...

Hmm... and the Oscar goes
to Kiz for overacting...

It could be worse... we could have a 25 page thread on turnout vs switch like the other board