Author Topic: De-oxidation stuff  (Read 1626 times)

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
De-oxidation stuff
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
So I was busy looking for suitcase connectors at my local Rona and Home Depot - never did find any - but while browsing I notice this tube of "stuff" for de-oxidizing connections I guess before attaching or soldering.  Walked away without thinking much about it, but on the way home in the car, the proverbial light bulb went off in my head thinking - how good would this stuff be for track cleaning.  I'm not even sure what it is but I suspect some of the electrical and electronics geeks will know, so would this stuff work for track cleaning, whatever it is?
Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1927
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: De-oxidation stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
There are so many products out there...could you be a little more vague?  :trollface:

Brand name? Product name?  Just "stuff" is not good enough for an evaluation.  :facepalm:
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!

rsn48

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
Of course I'll be going back to look again but its a de-oxidation material in a tube, so I'm assuming you rub it on and it cleans things up.  Some electronic or electrical types out there must be using this product so thought I would ask.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
Of course I'll be going back to look again but its a de-oxidation material in a tube, so I'm assuming you rub it on and it cleans things up.  Some electronic or electrical types out there must be using this product so thought I would ask.

I consider myself one of those "electric types" and I'll give you my five cents once I know what the product is.  I don't recall ever using anything like what you are describing.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
Sounds to me like it is probably a brand of flux. I could never solder gold or silver without fluxing the joint first to clear the oxidation and to allow the solder to flow easily. If it is indeed flux, and you apply it to tracks, you would still have to rinse it with water or alcohol so its probably not worth spending the money, elbow grease, and time. Good idea to ask though.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Assuming that it is in fact a soldering flux, I would never want to put that stuff on the track. Besides, flux is usually activated by heat (during soldering).  I guess we have to wait until we know more about the stuff.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
As I mentioned, whatever it is it probably is not worth it for any reason but I do validate the question as a good one.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
Wondering 
if this is some sort of chemical etchant?  Clean contacts, flux and solder.  Probably woud be too strong for fine stuff like phosphor bronze pickups and such if its in the electrical aisle at HD...
Support fine modeling

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +997
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
Is this what we're talking about?

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Tools-Accessories-Fish-Tapes-Lubes/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm6i/R-202276207/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

If so, it's for aluminum connections, such as used in utility service entrances or other main bus applications, or the unfortunate homeowner with aluminum distribution wiring. Has no business on a model railroad layout.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

rsn48

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Hmmm, never dreamt such a simple post would generate so much...... :scared:.... interest.  Well I did a google search and I found this product which is different but it appeared interesting as well.  I got this from another thread in another forum while surfing.

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-Electric-Connection-Enhancer-Lubricant/dp/B0002BBVN2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320455410&sr=8-3

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
Hmmm, never dreamt such a simple post would generate so much...... :scared:.... interest.  Well I did a google search and I found this product which is different but it appeared interesting as well.  I got this from another thread in another forum while surfing.

http://www.amazon.com/Booster-Electric-Connection-Enhancer-Lubricant/dp/B0002BBVN2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320455410&sr=8-3

...still awaiting a better description of your stuff.  :trollface:
--- Peteski de Snarkski

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +139
    • Modutrak
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

...still awaiting a better description of your stuff.  :trollface:

Get a room.
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

esa123

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »
This sort of thing has been discussed at length on other forums, you're probably thinking about CRC 2-26 which is an electrical contact cleaner found in box stores. Ironically I just finished doing a ton of research on this to improve the electrical pickup on my new layout! What I use and a lot of other people recommend is "NO OX, Special A" preparation. The link to a much greater discussion and application techniques is below.

http://www.nscale.net/forums/content.php?32-Track-cleaning-Linn-Westcott-and-No-Ox#comments

Enjoy,
Erik

rsn48

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
I may make it to the store tomorrow, Wednesday so I'll report back.  My buddy lent me some stuff from Radio Shack, the spray stuff for radios and other things electrical, it wasn't that.  I also bought the wheel polisher stuff, Fitz (so long since I've looked at it I can't remember), but ultimately I end up back with bright boys.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +210
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
As often is the case with this particular subject, there's already a lot of muck to wade through

-NOALOX (made by Ideal, and linked to by C855B above) is for preventing corrosion of electrical connections feature aluminum conductors or terminals.  (I'm intimately familiar with the stuff, sad to say.)   It is not for cleaning up corrosion.   It can also be used to protect non-aluminum connections, but it is intended to be left in place to do so.  I do not believe it has any utility in the model railroad track department, and have never heard anybody clearly say that it did. 

-The product that some people (including esa123 above) tout for keeping your track from oxidizing is NO-OX-ID "Special A).  Different from above product.  Quite possibly a totally different chemical composition.  It is actually marketed for the purpose of keeping model railroad track clean, whether you think it works or not.  Do not confuse with the other product.  NO-OX-ID.