Author Topic: PCM E Units  (Read 1997 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
PCM E Units
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »
Anyone run these on DC?  If so how do they run?  I was hoping to see CB&Q in the E7 line up but it is just the E8.  The price point seems fair for dual mode and sound but since I am in DC mode that is not something I am too interested in.  I wonder if the sound works in DC.  An E6 or 7 would be of interest depending on the responses.....
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Re: PCM E Units
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
The sound works fine in DC mode but you don't have control of the "Bells and Whistles".  You will get engine rumble and other associated random noises. I believe below a certain speed the bell may automatically come on but I haven't played with mine on DC to find out.

The only difference from running a DC loco is that they will start up at a higher voltage. It takes a little practice to not turn off the throttle all the way so the loco will stop but the sounds continue.
Tony Hines

NYC1956

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »
They run very well. You can also control the bell and horn sounds in DC mode by adding an optional control box.

As Tony mentions, they start at a higher voltage because of the sound decoder, thus you cannot MU these with non-sound locomotives.
Modeling the NYC of the early 1950s

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »
I have one of those cotrol boxes somewhere hidden in my stash.  Worked good and have since gone to DCC, so I don't use it anymore.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »
Hopefully they will do a Q run in E-7s.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
Hopefully they will do a Q run in E-7s.

They have.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
I see they're also re-running the E8/9s. That's nice, but what about those of us who don't drink the sound Kool-Aid? So, to add a single B unit to my existing fleet of non-sound BLI E9s there's no choice but to pay $80 more for an unwanted sound software license feature?

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 11:12:18 PM »
Cool that they are doing a rerun of some locos. Expected June 2013. I will have to put some more on order for the shop. The last batch was gone in the first week.

In all fairness to Broadway, the header on their web page is: "The cutting edge leader in sound equipped model trains." Sound is what they sell. It took us forever to sell the non sound units from the first batches when they were offered that way, the sound stuff flew off the shelves.

I fired up an HO I-1 for a customer at the shop the other day. They sure know how to make an impact. It was pre loaded with smoke fluid and the volume was cranked to the max. Too loud for a layout but you could hear it across the store and the smoke was fired up and going from the get go. It sold the loco and impressed me. I have never liked smoke but chuff matched puffs were pretty cool.
Tony Hines

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »
I guess I will contact BLI and see if the UP dummy B will be (or can be made) available separately. Like I said, all I want is another B, to finish my City of Everywhere, which typically ran A-B-B-B-A on the Chicago-Cheyenne leg. Four powered BLI E's are plenty enough for 30-35 cars.

If I have to buy the sound-equipped powered B, my crystal ball says there will be a BLI sound board on N Scale Yard Sale shortly following its release.  :x

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »
They did make dummy (non motor)  A and B units.  I have a few.  Don't know if they still do or not.

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
I asked, and already got a response - what was announced is it. Either buy the sound-equipped B, or the sound-A/dummy-B set. It looks like the best bet will be to buy the A/B set and sell the A instead of trying to dispose of a hacked-out sound board and speakers.

I'm not necessarily in love with the BLI E's, but they did a good job with the UP-specific details. I'm happy they turned out to be reasonable runners. I had an ABBA set of Katos on my bench lingering for quite a while waiting for the round-tuit, but when BLI showed their version at the Louisville NSC convention it became one less project in the queue.

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
I got the COLA A-B set ordered,I hope it can pull my Kato COLA set with only one powered unit.I ordered the ATSF E-6 A B Set.I hope it will run well with some Kato Pa's

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
A re-run of the B&M "Rock Island" E7's would be nice!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
They have.

Jason

I know they have that is why I am hoping for a re-run, and disappointed in them picking the E-8 and not the E-7 for this new run......Now if you know where there are some CB&Q E-7's sitting around, now that would be useful information to post.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

DaveWonders

• Respect: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
I wish they did every paint scheme in a powered A/dummy B set.  I'd be down for a pair of ACLs. $190 is a lot better than $300!