Author Topic: Questions about PRR RPOs  (Read 12210 times)

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Questions about PRR RPOs
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:21 AM »
Hi Cody,

That is why we are here to help and advise. You mentioned the locos you currently have for passenger work as being a H10, NW2 and a F3 A,B pair. From all my research these are basically freight engines . For early diesel passenger diesels look at your E8s, E7s, PAs, Erie Builts and FP7s which is a basic list. Passenger Locos were generally High Steppers and had large driving wheels for speed like the K4s and E6s.  There are plenty of Minitrix K4s out there and with a bit og a dress up and a Lemo Re-motor they can look as good as and pull more that the best brass. If you want to run a small local like the did around Chicargo look at running a TT F7 or a RS3. I saw a bit of writing somewhere once which indicated they used RS3 to run locals during the day and in multiple lashups to run coal at night.

I try to learn something new every day and I am still learning. Especially when it come to PRR Pass operations. I would like to eventually operate Huntingdon, PA as a four track layout with a timetable that runs for one week.

Regards

Al

Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:59 AM »
That would be awesome, and I would be overjoyed to be proven wrong.

I hope that is the story too, the gentleman I asked seemed confidant that they would have N Scale in production, since I asked him about GLas and thats the reason he told me. But who knows, that could be wrong, we will only really know with Bowser announcing their intentions. Every Pennsy modeler needs atleast H21s and GLas.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 07:13:10 AM »
A friend bob is having brass PRR horse cars produced he's been to Korea once to visit the plant they should go into production this summer ill ask him
For more info and share with you guys

Somebody's going to make horse cars? Sweeeet! Count me in for a bunch, I just need to figure out their assignment on trains. Will their be an official annoucement or what?
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »
Did I mention my overall Prototype knowledge can fit within the nutrition facts of a standard cereal box, in size 10 font.

-Cody F.

You need to get the series of books by Liljestrand & Sweetland.  The one on Dining Cars and Baggage and Mail cars cover all classes of these cars with the date they were in service and a good selection of photos (although not in color). 

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
You need to get the series of books by Liljestrand & Sweetland.  The one on Dining Cars and Baggage and Mail cars cover all classes of these cars with the date they were in service and a good selection of photos (although not in color).

Those are good books. Here's what I know

Horse Cars:
B74a - clerestory roof, rode on 3C-P1 trucks ( Lima/Model Power)
B74b - Arch roof, rode on the 3D-P1 or 3D-P2, (Kato RPO trucks and hopefully these will be the new MTL diner trucks!)

Scenery Cars:
B70a - Arch roof, rode on what looks like 3D-P1 trucks. Had 2 styles of doors, porthole and those old square ones.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:53:31 PM by chicken45 »
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
Re:  Bowser

I am not a company spokesman. I do not recall an official announcement from Bowser stating that they were leaving N scale. However, I seem to recall from several years ago, a conversation Jerry Britton posted that he had with Lee English that Bowser was indeed leaving N.

This is not to say that things can't change or that they couldn't be talked in to doing a limited run, but I wouldn't count on any thing new from them. Which is a shame because I always hoped for the N6 and at least the N8 cabins. The potiential for N was there.  :(
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
FWIW, Bowser is still shipping N scale product. What we are not seeing is new N scale tooling from Bowser.

Mark

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
Yeah, they said there was not going to be new products, but continued production of current models, which is good enough for me.
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
Bowser are exactly the same as any other manufacturer. When the see a drop off in sales of a product they become hesitant to tie up more capitol in some thing that may not sell. It is therefore up to the modellers to support the manufacturer after they have made the decision and convince them that it is the way to go so that they know customer support is out there.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Australia

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
I'll put this here, since this is the only current SPF thread going.  There's a couple of BF16 shells and undec RS3 up for auction on the bay.  The same seller is also selling a bunch of other N scale PRR rollingstock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-Atlas-2-Alco-RS-3-Undecorated-Engines-with-2-Baldwin-Shark-RF-16-Kits-/281068038551?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4170f5e997
Bob

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

I indicated that I would do a trace of the car and post it to show the differences in the purported model and the the plans. There are quiet a few and some that I find unacceptable but fixable the others I will just have to work with.

I drew these cars to N Scale and reduced the CCS renderings to N Scale as well. The main glaring differences are the Baggage Doors. They are reported to be 4.5 ft wide but on the model they would appear to be 6.5 ft wide. That to me is unacceptable along with the fact that the door windows are square and not round port hole type (Pennsy Trademark). The steps under the A end doors are full width and not part steps. The end steps are two rung instead of singular  and the handrail above are vertical not horizontal. I do not have a decent plan of the underfloor to comment on and all photos I have seen thus far are of the five window side. There are other differences that may be able to be fixed and that is the striker plates beside the RPO doors are different in size, both in width and height . There is a belt rail along each side about a third of the way up. The CCS roof does show some detail that does look acceptable but there does not appear to be any rain strips. I have not finished my tracings yet but what has been achieved thus far I am happy with. If anyone has any better information that I can use to authenticate mr tracings more thoroughly I would be only too happy to accept you help.

There were four BM85 Cars 6595 to 6598 and one BM85A  6598. BM85s were converted from baggage dormitory cars. Other infomation I do not have.  Hope this helps

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Australia

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 11:57:31 PM »

I drew these cars to N Scale and reduced the CCS renderings to N Scale as well. The main glaring differences are the Baggage Doors. They are reported to be 4.5 ft wide but on the model they would appear to be 6.5 ft wide. That to me is unacceptable along with the fact that the door windows are square and not round port hole type (Pennsy Trademark).

Never say never!
I'm looking at a photo of BK70nb and a BD85 that have rounded corner rectangular windows.
Sure, I know you are doing a BM85, but I thought I should point it out that select few Pennsy head cars had rounded corner rectangular door windows.
Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:20 AM »
Hi Josh,

The BM85 were made from BD85 Cars. The BD Car would be numbered 6691 - 6694. I cannot recall what the BK70nb was other than a horse carrying car. Being a 70ft car it would have been a HW design and out of this picture. The BD car is right up there as the BM85 were a BD conversion. I accept that the corners in the side of the car would have had round corners, that is the BM85 but all the photos of the BM85 I have seen show round porthole windows in the RPO and baggage doors. If you do not mind I would love to see those pics you are looking at. 8).

As it was not the intent of Cody to have a treatise on the BM85 Cars when he started this thread I have reverted all further discussion by me back to my original thread.

Regards

Al
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:56:13 AM by Alwyn Cutmore »
Al Cutmore
Australia

brill27mcb

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »
FWIW, Bowser is still shipping N scale product. What we are not seeing is new N scale tooling from Bowser.

Mark

They don't seem to be shipping any in PRR paint, like normal Circle Keystone...

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:05 AM »
Hi Josh,

If you do not mind I would love to see those pics you are looking at. 8).

Josh Surkosky

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
No, I said "Ed's Law."