Author Topic: Epson Inkjet Printer that Prints White  (Read 18155 times)

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1186
Epson Inkjet Printer that Prints White
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »
I was just doing a little research on a custom decal idea and the whole subject of white decal printing struck me again.  Incidentally, I'm a North American prototype T-gauge modeler, so nearly everything for me is custom  :D). 

Most of us know inkjet and laser printed decals can't include white artwork (such as white logos, reporting marks, etc.)  Well, they can, but they will print "clear" in CMYK printing designed for a white paper backing.  Yes, there're plenty of work-arounds such as printing on white inkjet stock or undercoating the model white with clear decal stock. The Alps MD-whatever was the dye-sub printer that could print white, but no longer available and/or serviceable.   

Well now I find Epson is offering the WT7900 inkjet printer.  It does print white inkjet ink.  It's not for the light-of-wallet though, around $8000 (used on on Ebay for $6k), and it's a big beast at around 350 lb.  It's oriented towards packaging companies who make prototypes on clear or metallic stock, and to other advertising/marketing markets from what I gather. 

Interesting thing is, the white ink technology exists, along with the cartridges, and it should print on decal stock.  I wonder how long it will take to get this in a desktop size?   At ~$1000 it might be more interesting to the average bear.  ;)   This will make a much wider range of custom decals available, and/or may replace screen printing decals.

Jesse

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Epson Inkjet Printer that Prints White
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
Yeah, 6k is a bit steep, considering you can get a pad printer for less than half that...

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
Any inkjet printer -can- print in white ink, you just need to find someone to make a compatible ink. Technically you could do it at home, but its full of pitfalls.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »
If this monster uses their Ultrachrome ink, then lots of older printers might be able to use it. Just substitute a white ink cartridge for say, matte black?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1237
    • Modutrak
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
Yeah, 6k is a bit steep, considering you can get a pad printer for less than half that...

It's easier to skip the pad printer expense and just use a standard wall to beat your head against!  Pad printing is mostly voodoo and your standard home HVAC isn't going to maintain a quality, steady environment needed for consistent success.

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
It's easier to skip the pad printer expense and just use a standard wall to beat your head against!  Pad printing is mostly voodoo and your standard home HVAC isn't going to maintain a quality, steady environment needed for consistent success.

+1.

pnolan48

• Crew
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
Epson is not dumb. The white Ultrachrome cartridge won't fit into existing printers (except at the very highest end). Goodbye to using my Stylus Pro 2200 to print white.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
I'm anxiously awaiting a test print.  The description of the ink makes it sound like it's not actually white but looks white.  I'm wondering if it's going to be a bit sparkly.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
If money was no object would this be good for decals?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »
Here is a printer that prints white ink. I wonder if it would get too hot for decal paper, if not it seems like it could be a decal artist's dream machine. What do you think?
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesStylusProWT7900/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
Re: If money was no object would this be good for decals?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28908.0

We started talking about this printer in another forum.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
Did anyone ever get a test sheet as mentioned?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »
Exactly. Quoting the website: "Epson UltraChrome HDR White Ink introduces an all-new Organic Hollow Resin Particle Technology, which forces light to randomly scatter, producing the illusion of seeing the color white."

It is the "illusion" part that worries me. We apply decals over dark colored models. Will their "white" provide true opaque white ink which would show up on a dark colored model? Will their "white" undercoating the CYM inks (required for full color printing) be opaque enough to provide true rendition of the CYM inks?
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »
Did anyone ever get a test sheet as mentioned?

Still waiting for mine.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
I read the following:

This innovative way to produce the color white yields an amazing white ink density, ability for custom white color toning, and provides professional short-term color stability for mission-critical color proofing on a range of new substrates

So how long is short term?

Hmm... about as long as
a beer lasts around Kiz...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:31:16 PM »
I'll wait till the n scale laptop version comes out for 300 bucks in 2038 . :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Richie Dost