Author Topic: IM vs Kato SD40-2(W) mechanisms  (Read 1027 times)

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
IM vs Kato SD40-2(W) mechanisms
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
With all of the IM SD40-2W shells on Ebay lately, I bought a couple on the cheap to play with. Since I do not have a mechanism, I have been considering two options: altering a mechanism from the IM tunnel motors or using a Kato SD40-2 early mechanism. Looking at the IM T-mech, it looks like I will have to machine away some of the rear and come up with a way of securing the frame halves at the rear. I have no idea how the Kato mech would fare. Has anyone used either of these and what alterations did you have to make?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: IM vs Kato SD40-2(W) mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
The kato mechinisms are too wide. Its a lot of machining.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
John,
According to Spookshow the mechanism for the -2W is similar to the SD45-2. It looks as if the rear is just ground down a bit.
You can compare the chassis on his site: http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&nonbrass=3&sortby=4&Submit=Submit

I bit on some of these shells too. I need a way to get some chassis under them as well.
Clint

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
The kato mechinisms are too wide. Its a lot of machining.

This.

I just bought one too....the zebra stripes made it to Texas on occasion (as did the NA scheme, and SD60 Cowls and others) so I thought it would make for a good shell to swap out every once in awhile.   But my Kato would have none of it.   Guess I'll have to bank on a "Dash-2 Project" mech filling the bill.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
I did a swap long ago to see if it was feasible, and don't recall any issue with them (used the mid-production chassis, IIRC). Yes, bit of milling but I didn't think it seemed like too much work... of course I don't mind milling frames, its the finesse parts of modeling that are a chore to me (adding grab irons, bending handrails, etc).

FWIW, I was only looking to swap Kato mechs because I was fully expecting the IM's to be dogs, but with some breaking time, they seem decent enough.