Author Topic: IM vs Kato SD40-2(W) mechanisms  (Read 707 times)

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
IM vs Kato SD40-2(W) mechanisms
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
With all of the IM SD40-2W shells on Ebay lately, I bought a couple on the cheap to play with. Since I do not have a mechanism, I have been considering two options: altering a mechanism from the IM tunnel motors or using a Kato SD40-2 early mechanism. Looking at the IM T-mech, it looks like I will have to machine away some of the rear and come up with a way of securing the frame halves at the rear. I have no idea how the Kato mech would fare. Has anyone used either of these and what alterations did you have to make?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +673
Re: IM vs Kato SD40-2(W) mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
The kato mechinisms are too wide. Its a lot of machining.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
John,
According to Spookshow the mechanism for the -2W is similar to the SD45-2. It looks as if the rear is just ground down a bit.
You can compare the chassis on his site: http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&nonbrass=3&sortby=4&Submit=Submit

I bit on some of these shells too. I need a way to get some chassis under them as well.
Clint

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
The kato mechinisms are too wide. Its a lot of machining.

This.

I just bought one too....the zebra stripes made it to Texas on occasion (as did the NA scheme, and SD60 Cowls and others) so I thought it would make for a good shell to swap out every once in awhile.   But my Kato would have none of it.   Guess I'll have to bank on a "Dash-2 Project" mech filling the bill.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +76
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
I did a swap long ago to see if it was feasible, and don't recall any issue with them (used the mid-production chassis, IIRC). Yes, bit of milling but I didn't think it seemed like too much work... of course I don't mind milling frames, its the finesse parts of modeling that are a chore to me (adding grab irons, bending handrails, etc).

FWIW, I was only looking to swap Kato mechs because I was fully expecting the IM's to be dogs, but with some breaking time, they seem decent enough.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244