Author Topic: NSC 50' 70-Ton Exterior Post Newsprint Box Car  (Read 3760 times)

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
NSC 50' 70-Ton Exterior Post Newsprint Box Car
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
From True Line Trains, I guess these will be produced in N scale eventually?

http://www.truelinetrains.ca/freight-cars/n

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: NSC 50' 70-Ton Exterior Post Newsprint Box Car
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Wow - potentially another RTR BC Rail freight car.  Eventually is the key word here as N Scale releases have been few, slow and far between.  These are similar to the NSC exterior post double door boxcars offered by Jeff Briggs, but those were lumber cars - these are the plug door variant for newsprint and pulp.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
BCOL, BCIT, CNIS, ONT.  :scared:

This is gonna hurt!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
Are these still in use? 

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
Scott:

The BCIT and BCOL cars were still around at the time of the CN takeover in 2004, although shippers by then preferred the vented cars which had largely replaced them.

I can't speak for the CN cars.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »
Thanks Tim.  I will dig into it when I have a chance, it looks like I don't have to worry about buying these in the near future.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
While happy to see True Line bringing another Canadian car to the market I think everyone should temper their excitement with the fact that Darren hasn't ventured back into N scale since the illfated paper box car adventure of four years or so again. I have repeatedly asked for his outstanding RTR slab side hoppers to be brought to N scale to no avail. I hope Darren will put his toe back in the N scale pool but I'm not holding my breath waiting for these.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
Scott:

The BCIT and BCOL cars were still around at the time of the CN takeover in 2004, although shippers by then preferred the vented cars which had largely replaced them.

Tim

Are these the 50' boxcars often seen with plating in certain locations - usually along the upper part of the car - spanning between two posts?  I take it these plates cover vents?

I always wondered about this - common on what look like rebuild CN and CP cars - as well as some others???

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
CP also have these cars... I just shot two of them on a westbound train on the Belleville Sub. Both Action green; one wearing a Multimark and QC (Quebec Central) reporting marks, the other CP Rail sans multi.

Lou, thosr are indeed ventilated cars.

sdodge

• Crew
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
I hope Darren will put his toe back in the N scale pool but I'm not holding my breath waiting for these.

Me too. One online retailer is taking preorders for their mini box although True Line's website says TBD. I placed a preorder for the heck of it. maybe see them in 2 years?

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
Are these the 50' boxcars often seen with plating in certain locations - usually along the upper part of the car - spanning between two posts?  I take it these plates cover vents?

I think I saw one of these parked in front of the CP station in Banff yesterday.  But all these canadian cars look the same to me....  :trollface:

It did have the welded vent covers, but the same car also had its end corrugations covered with welded plates, which made for some very odd looking flat end walls.

-gfh

Added - the car I saw was like this one:

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=16536

with a different door than the True Line model.  Never mind.... (but does anyone know why the ends were modified?)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:48:31 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »
I think I saw one of these parked in front of the CP station in Banff yesterday.  But all these canadian cars look the same to me....  :trollface:

It did have the welded vent covers, but the same car also had its end corrugations covered with welded plates, which made for some very odd looking flat end walls.

-gfh

Added - the car I saw was like this one:

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=16536

with a different door than the True Line model.  Never mind.... (but does anyone know why the ends were modified?)

and, what kind of door is that ? It looks like it was stamped out of tin..............
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »
Me too. One online retailer is taking preorders for their mini box although True Line's website says TBD. I placed a preorder for the heck of it. maybe see them in 2 years?

Credit Valley Railway in Streetsville, Ontario is still listing early 2013 for the mini boxes; Darren and Bob Scott the owner of CVR are friends so I have to believe that is still valid. That said, as I posted before; until Darren gets a good feel for n scale, the stuff isn't going to be coming too fast IMHO

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
I have 53 TLT cars, all the NSC newsprint boxcar. In spite of the ride height, they are nice cars and as I always say, produce something I need and I'll support you. Here's hoping Darren doesn't make us wait too long, but long enough to recover from the Prairie Shadows onslaught... Mr Wallet goes fetal at the mere mention  ;)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:16:13 AM »
TLT shot themselves in the foot with the door issue. Then they fixed the cars only to release them in some off yellow door scheme and ignore the vast majority of the car fleet.

Not only that, he used the wrong numbers for the car he produced. I think we covered this in an exhaustive thread when the cars came out. I emailed Darren the thread, photos of the car examples and even listed what series would work best with his models.

None of that info was used.

I really like the newsprint cars, and will gladly get more if they are re-run. But Darren needs to do his homework on the car numbers.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away