Author Topic: N Scale Architect announces curtain wall system  (Read 1771 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
N Scale Architect announces curtain wall system
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
I noticed the small ad for a curtain wall modular building system from N Scale Architect in the new issue of N Scale (page 5).  here's a link to the product http://www.thenarch.com/products/curtain-wall-panel-system-twin-pack-kit-n  Incorporates Tichy window castings and stick on brick/masonry onto a Taskboard base.  Looks like it might make some people happy.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2812
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: N Scale Architect announces curtain wall system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:34 PM »
I noticed that kit back in the beginning of January and mentioned it to Ian (see https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=25254.msg296156#msg296156 ). He wasn't impressed. I saw it assembled in-person during the Amherst show and I have to agree with Ian's suspicions.  It is a good idea but without some serious touch up, there are too many gaps everywhere.  With some work, it can make a nice background building (as designed).
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3751
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »
I too saw this in person in Amherst--

and concur that it would take considerable effort to make it suitable for foreground placement. Nice idea, but somewhat lacking in execution.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:43:44 AM »
First thing that went through my mind is that it would make a great background structure.
Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +670
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:20 AM »
I missed this in Springfield. It looks pretty rough.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
I missed this one, so thanks.  I think I have a spot on the IHB for this one!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +505
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
I must not have an eye for these, the example from the show in the photograph looks quite good to me.  I like the more modern windows, which would give some variety from what is out there now.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »
First I've seen of it and haven't seen it in person. Quality isn't visible in the marketing I've seen so far, so I wouldn't be buying until I had seen it.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
It's a bit rough up close...

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +505
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the close up, I see what you mean.

rail and tie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »
It seems that if the prototype builder would have taken a bit more care in trimming and sanding edges it would have helped a lot in a better build and tighten up all the joints. Those unsanded tabs certainly catch you eye.  Looks like they used matt board for the concrete. The concept is certainly cool as it allows you to build what you want.

The styrene brick can be workable, but I find you need to mortar and highlight the brick.

I think this system would be quite workable, but needs some careful thought and execution at the build.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises
www.interactionhobbies.com

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
I think this system would be quite workable, but needs some careful thought and execution at the build.

It would need a bit more than just cleaning up the edges of the parts; the walls are uneven and bowed, suggesting the modeler would really need to build a sturdy substructure to hold the parts flat and true--much more work than what's implied by the product literature.

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
It would need a bit more than just cleaning up the edges of the parts; the walls are uneven and bowed, suggesting the modeler would really need to build a sturdy substructure to hold the parts flat and true--much more work than what's implied by the product literature.

Sounds like a job for extra internal bracing!!  What is nice about the concept is the way you can paint the various layers (windows, frames, brick and concete first and then assemble keeping things easy on that front. With the wide number of combinations that they provide with this, it becomes impossible to supply good internal bones. The modeler is left to bracing the heck out of the inside. Perfectly fine for backdrop models, but a lot of work.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2812
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the concrete parts are what they call TaskBoard. It is a paper product.  As DKS notes, those pieces seem to be bowed out (maybe because TaskBoard can easily be warped by moisture?).  DKS' photo shows lots of bowed parts everywhere.
. . . 42 . . .

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »
Definately the case when not pressed after building and gluing/painting. Always the problem with task board and matt board. A real bi$%^ if you get the board too wet with paint.  I try to avoid the stuff in building/wall design, but usually a choice for foundations/bases. Works great if you are airbrushing and can keep it fairly dry.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises