Author Topic: An Open non Critical letter to Kato regarding N Scale Passenger Equipment  (Read 1255 times)

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
First,  Thank you for some of the amazing releases that continue to evolve in your N scale passenger trains.  It was brass or nothing 10 years ago for some of the Budd equipment you have produced.

Some thoughts on some fill in equipment that could be sold separately or in some newly formed Amtrak Heritage sets:

CZ 48 seat Coaches (Silver "Tree" series) cars and UP "Pacific" 10&6 in Amtrak ph 1 scheme to supplement the 4 car ph 1 set produced 2 years ago
ATSF PS Pleasure Domes and 48 seat diner in Amtrak ph 1 scheme to supplement the 4 car ph 1 set produced 2 years ago

Could also do a CZ set in Ph 1 (substitute CB&Q '52 built 10&6 - 3 hallway windows) and use only CB&Q names as most of the WP/DRGW cars were sold to Auto Train*/private owners or held for company service.

*could also offer an Auto Train set with the WP CZ domes, UP Dome Coaches(please put the correct OSH trucks under them), UP Placid series cars, ATSF Regal sleepers, UP Dome Diners and UP Dome Obs cars - wink wink, nudge nudge.  I always thought the purple trucks were cool!

Ph 3 - CZ 48 seat coach (un-skirted with newly tooled truck without tread brake cylinder) as Amtrak 4740 series coach, CZ diner (un-skirted with newly tooled truck without tread brake cylinder) as 8500 series, CB&Q 10&6 (un-skirted with newly tooled truck without tread brake cylinder, could also retruck with OSH truck and make a former ATSF Pine series car) as 2460 series sleeper, and UP Pacific series 10&6 as 2440 series car.  These would sell well with the Ph 3 Amfleets already out there, and would allow for a non-dome Lake Shore, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, or Silver service consists.  I feel these would be a home run!  Spare Pacific series sleepers out of the City of Los Angeles sets are fetching a near mint on eBay lately!

Ph 3 - offer Hi-Level coaches, diners and lounges as supplements to Superliner sets and the Hi-Level transition dorms already produced.  399XX series.

Ph 3 - Kato has all the pieces to offer the Amtrak 40th Anniversary train with some minor adjustments! 

Ph 4 - offer CZ un-skirted diners and 10&6 of the CB&Q, ATSF or UP variety as Crew Dorm cars as a supplement to the Ph 4/5 Amfleet sets already selling.

Ph 4/5 - Hi-Level coaches and lounges as Pacific Parlor Cars

All the above are true to prototype adaptions of cars that Kato has produced, and would give modelers a great opportunity to further enhance the fidelity of their passenger trains.

Thank you for your consideration of the above - I hope that at least some of these ideas are considered.

Please feel free to contact me if further information on any of the above prototypes is required.

MRLX1020

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +621
Re: An Open non Critical letter to Kato regarding N Scale Passenger Equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
Have you sent this information directly to Kato, through their Suggest a model page?  In theory they read those, while it's hit or miss that they would see this post.

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3790
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »
Kato doesn't read the Railwire.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

MRLX1020

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
I did send this into Kato.  Thought that everyone here might be interested in seeing it as well.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
Kato doesn't read the Railwire.

I'm fairly sure Kato doesn't read anything external to their own process...that said; hey, they aren't exactly hurting for business so.....  :|
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »
 :|             I'am sure you are aware,Kato is releasing the EL Cap train minus the RPO car in Amquack (Trak) Phase 1 colors and F-7 A-B diesels in the short lived "Yellow Bonnett" scheme that some of these locomotives were painted in when leased to Amtrak. Nate Goodman (Nato).

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
" Kato doesn't read The Railwire "

I would think otherwise . If there is anybody there that is into N , that Kato person would read us . They may like to profess that they don't , but truth is we are irresistible .

MRLX1020

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
:|             I'am sure you are aware,Kato is releasing the EL Cap train minus the RPO car in Amquack (Trak) Phase 1 colors and F-7 A-B diesels in the short lived "Yellow Bonnett" scheme that some of these locomotives were painted in when leased to Amtrak. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Yes, my letter was in response to seeing that release, hopefully some encouragement for more Amtrak items!

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »
Relax, I have a modified Con-Cor car being turned into a UP Pacific series sleeper on my bench. The moment I get it done, they will release them. Same thing happened with my Amtubes..
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1918
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
I'm fairly sure Kato doesn't read anything external to their own process...that said; hey, they aren't exactly hurting for business so.....  :|

There used to be a Kato USA employee who frequented the A-Board (he did not officially represent himself as a Kato rep).  But I have no idea if he reads this forum (doubtful)..
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!