Author Topic: Match for N&W Blue?  (Read 818 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
Match for N&W Blue?
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »
Does anyone know what's a good SOLVENT paint color for Norfolk & Western blue? I hate using acrylic paints (unless there is a specific N&W blue paint color).

About 20 years ago, I used Floquil light blue (it's not light), but I really wasn't happy with it.

Hmm... okay, no banana
yellow jokes here...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Match for N&W Blue?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »
Kiz,I use Floquil,never really found a blue I liked for N&W.I usually start with the darkest blue they have in the rack,and add black until I'm happy.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:43:38 AM »
The late Sam McCall, also known as HOsam, recommended a mix of PollyScale Acrylics ATSF blue #414150 add 1/2 cap reefer white #414113 for N&W blue and the results looked pretty good...
http://www.hosam.com/mod/gp18.html

I got to know a little about this man during the months prior to his death and he was a fine fellow and a remarkable modeler.  His website, the Southeast Railroad Information, remains on line thanks to help from a friend and the any visitor will find a wealth of information on a variety of roads.  I highly recommend it...
http://hosam.com/

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
Pevler blue was all over the map... even on newly painted stuff.  Most manufacturers just use ATSF blue or the Pantone equivalent.  I like to use ATSF or C&O Enchantment blue, with about 3-5 drops of black added to the very small glass containers (like the ones testors paints come in) to mix a batch for painting for something new.  Add white to fade as suited to your taste

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Scalecoat (my favorite paint) has ATSF Blue and C&O Enchantment Blue, so I'll give them a try.

Hmm... now to find N&W
decals...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"