Author Topic: Stock yard  (Read 3371 times)

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
Stock yard
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
Looking for kits,any ideas on a mfg of stock yards.I need to move some BEEF to market

GN Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Stock yard
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »
http://www.athabascashops.com/  under N scale Misc.
Check out items 8002 and 8003

Tom Todd

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
You could roll your own.

The big advantage of that is that you can design to fit your layout as to space & capacity. 
There are some good resources put out by historical societies, such as a Burlington Burlington Bulletin on livestock traffic.
Regards,
Paul

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
N Scale Architect has a very nice one available separately (list $50) or with the Quality Meat Packers complex (list $134).  BLW shows them both in stock.

I built the whole complex when it came out and wrote a review for Railroad Model Craftsman.  I don't have the issue date in my office.  Very fun build, though.

Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
I guess this is psudo-related...

What about offal? And the gondolas that carried them? There was an article in an old issue of TKM, but it didn't go into all the gory details.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
You could roll your own.

The big advantage of that is that you can design to fit your layout as to space & capacity. 

agreed...  the advantage of using and fiilling your own custom space makes it unique.
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.I wish Microtrains would release a kit like the one that came with the stock car

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.I wish Microtrains would release a kit like the one that came with the stock car

you could use those pieces (buy a few packs) to bash together somethign i suppose (i haven't looked to closely)...  I still say the simpler thing is to buy some wood, paint it, cut it, file the ends.. and start scratching.  Buiild it on a piece of Gator Foam as a diorama, then drop it into a footprint on your pike.

plus.. take pictures... show us your progress :)   I am sure there will be good ideas to help along the way.
EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
I guess this is psudo-related...

What about offal? And the gondolas that carried them? There was an article in an old issue of TKM, but it didn't go into all the gory details.

There is a discussion about it here: http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/189987.aspx
One thing I remember about the offal gons is that thtrain crew woul always put a car between the last gon and the caboose. This prevented the sloshing mess to land on the caboose.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
Offal would come out of a slaughter house not a stockyard.  I remember that article.  Stinky, slippery gunk.  I forget where this was shipped to and what it was used to manufacture.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
... I remember about the offal gons is that train crew would always put a car between the last gon and the caboose. This prevented the sloshing mess to land on the caboose.

Hmm... I bet it was a
dining car...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
Offal would come out of a slaughter house not a stockyard.  I remember that article.  Stinky, slippery gunk.  I forget where this was shipped to and what it was used to manufacture.

Prepared properly, calves' liver is really good, and, if you are French, you'd also consider making liver pate.

Pigs' intestines were used for best quality sausages, for instance keilbasa or Polish wedding sausage.  Maybe some other sausages, like blood sausage?

Pigs feet were pickled, and ox tails for soup.

The rest is what found its way into gons to be made into fertilizer, or pet food. 
Regards,
Paul

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
The rest is what found its way into gons to be made into fertilizer, or pet food. 

... or scrapple!!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:56 PM »
Used to help my grandfather butcher hogs every year growing up in PA.  About the only thing you didn't use was the squell.  And yes, Ed, gotta love scrabble.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
Well done, with ketchup, of course.