Author Topic: Some mid-Atlantic love this time - G32C pilots  (Read 2826 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Some mid-Atlantic love this time - G32C pilots
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
Those look great! What machine made the XHD print?

The production version will look much better.  All of the XHDs are being rendered on a ProJet 3000+.

Bryan, you are succeeding in keeping me focused on N-scale.  HO, what HO?

That always is good news, as we have lots of projects planned to keep you focused.  ;)

Bryan, what is your formula for CR Freight Car Red????

These are quickie show samples, so this is Floquil Tuscan rattle-can.  For the ESM injection-molded items, I'd have to check because it's the formula I received from the PRRT&HS that we use on all PRR-SK, PRR-PK, LV-brown and CR releases and I don't know it offhand.  The PC Deepwater Green is Scalecoat II from the PCHS in rattle-can form and is the same formula as used on injection-molded PC-related items.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7845
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »
Keep in mind that there were only 100 of class G32C gondolas ever.  This was the smallest G32 sub-class, by far.  Yes, they look really cool.  But if you are striving to maintain a prototypical roster, you would be hard-pressed to explain the presence of two of these cars at one time ... and they were far more scarce by the time CR started.  I've only seen two ever, and that was at Oak Island yard over a 20-year period when I was photographing rolling stock on a regular basis.  The two sightings even may have been the same car.

Ironically, the CRHS almost had one... we had the choice of it it or the one we got, and the one we got had plain old roller bearings (believe it or not, the G32 had friction bearings or converted friction bearings). That makes moving it a LOT easier.

I'm getting one for basically that reason, and to keep you making cool new stuff.

skm

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
They are beautiful Brian!  :)

Just a touch out of my time-frame, sadly.  :(

The G32 was a fairly significant class of gon for the PRR with over 2000 built.

What I'm trying to say is; would you consider doing this gon with the original sides?  :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:47:12 AM by skm »
Cheers,
Scott

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
Ironically, the CRHS almost had one... we had the choice of it it or the one we got, and the one we got had plain old roller bearings (believe it or not, the G32 had friction bearings or converted friction bearings). That makes moving it a LOT easier.

I'm getting one for basically that reason, and to keep you making cool new stuff.

I didn't realize that about the trucks.  The A-3 trucks would be better suited given this development, but I have surplus Ride-Control trucks from the X58 runs that have been drafted for this project.  It's less costly to have excess OEM parts shipped with the production runs rather than to let them stay overseas for a subsequent run, both from a storage and inventory standpoint.

... would you consider doing this gon with the original sides?  :D

Actually, a straight G32 wouldn't be difficult to scratchbuild.  I believe there was such an article in an issue of Keystone Modeler.  The B and C sub-classes are the toughies.  From an ESM standpoint, I'd probably look at the ACL gon or another southeast gon before tapping another Pennsy gon.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

Actually, that one is owned by NS and it's been known to end up filled with NS-related scrap items. So the G36L was the only option in Lewistown.
Sean

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1523
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
These are hawt, no matter how few the real thing had. What's your price point?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
I see the CR gon going missing from your booth... :P
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

skm

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 01:11:06 AM »
Actually, a straight G32 wouldn't be difficult to scratchbuild.  I believe there was such an article in an issue of Keystone Modeler.  The B and C sub-classes are the toughies.  From an ESM standpoint, I'd probably look at the ACL gon or another southeast gon before tapping another Pennsy gon.

Of course, you're right! Issue 19 of the Keystone has it all laid out! Do your new gons have separate sides a la the G26? Would make the process that much easier...... :D
I can hope can't I?
Cheers,
Scott

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:30:17 AM »
Unfortunately (for kitbashers), a one-piece body. 
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net