Author Topic: IHC Store Fronts?  (Read 1171 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +3041
    • Conrail 1285
IHC Store Fronts?
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
It looks like IHC died a few years ago (which is quite sad, their structure kits were cool, at least the Painted Ladies, Store Fronts and Colonials).

Does anyone know of a source to find some of those aforementioned store fronts?

These are the things I'm looking for, in N:
http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images1/1/0211/06/1_e0dc6cab2702c67595d26e9163440287.jpg

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +679
Re: IHC Store Fronts?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Try Happy Hobby in Milwaukee Wi.   http://local.yahoo.com/info-16737658-happy-hobby-west-allis  This is the hobby shop where old kits go to die.  It's one of those places that you can't get out of for hours because it's stuffed with all sorts of stuff...very little orgainzation, so no matter what you want you need to have the time to root through piles and piles of stuff in dark corners.  It's always my first stop when I do trainfest.  They have a bunch of this old stuff, piles of it and if anyone has it, they should.  give them a call. Great folks.  Also, try Franciscan Hobbies in SF...same sort of place, lots of stuff (at least last time I was there)

Joe
MTL

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +3041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Joe!

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »
I followed your link and all I get is a blank screen.
James R. Will

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3791
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
I see them popping up on the Bay fairly regularly.
“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »
Ed-- I'm going through my swap box this weekend in preparation for having a table at an upcoming local show.  I haven't had the box out for two years but I used to have several.  I'll let you know in the next few days if I still do.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »
Sorry, Ed.  I went through 5 Xerox paper boxes and nine drawers and no joy.  I must have sold them before.  IIRC they seemed fairly undersized for 1/160.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2819
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »
Well, IHC is (sort of) still in business but no N scale structures.  http://www.ihc-hobby.com/
I emailed them (twice) asking if there were any plans to reintroduce their plastic kits (especially the carnival rides) but I never received any replies. Poor business practices if you ask me.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »
Try Happy Hobby in Milwaukee Wi.   http://local.yahoo.com/info-16737658-happy-hobby-west-allis  This is the hobby shop where old kits go to die.  It's one of those places that you can't get out of for hours because it's stuffed with all sorts of stuff...very little orgainzation, so no matter what you want you need to have the time to root through piles and piles of stuff in dark corners.  It's always my first stop when I do trainfest.  They have a bunch of this old stuff, piles of it and if anyone has it, they should.  give them a call. Great folks.  Also, try Franciscan Hobbies in SF...same sort of place, lots of stuff (at least last time I was there)

Joe
MTL

Your aren't going to find what you need at Happy Hobby in West Allis. It burned down on New Years Eve.
http://fox6now.com/2013/01/01/happy-hobby-store-in-west-allis-damaged-following-fire/

This is very sad for me as this was my childhood hobby store, back when it was called Garman Hobby. I used to ride my 20-inch bike to this shop as a kid, with the money I earned cutting grass. It used to be a top line shop, staffed by Mr. Garman and a pretty large group of employees. This was back in the day when a grown man with a family could earn a living working at a hobby store. Mr. Garman used to give me a deal on old railroad magazines. They had to cut the logo off the cover, but otherwise they were fine. The C&NW ran right behind the shop and they had a scanner on so you could run out and watch the trains come bye. Anyhow, the shop started to go downhill in the early 1980s and my last visit there during Trainfest a couple years back was sad for me. Yes, lots of old stock. Dusty Athearn blue boxes. Dim lights. Still, sorry to see this place burn. I doubt it will be rebuilt.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +968
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
Also, try Franciscan Hobbies in SF...same sort of place, lots of stuff (at least last time I was there)

Joe
MTL

I've been there a few times in my travels. Great little shop! They had a PRR Atlas Trainmaster with the Kato mech last time I was there.
The best part is they are only about 5 miles away from Dynamo Donuts! Great espresso and chocolate maple bacon donuts!

Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."