Author Topic: Changing LEDs in Cab Forward  (Read 858 times)

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Changing LEDs in Cab Forward
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
Has anyone here become insane enough to change out the LEDs from the first run Intermountain Cab Forward's from the yellow to a golden white LED?  I have been toying with the idea but hear its quite a chore.  If anyone else has done this I'd be interested in any tips of insight into how you did it and what to watch out for.  I know they're small surface mount LEDs with the micro wirte on them, so soldering will be a chore.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Changing LEDs in Cab Forward
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »
It is one of my future projects (since I have one of the 1st run locos).  It will be a bit of a pain but it is doable.  I seem to recall that they use 0603 SMD LEDs. While I haven't looked at that loco for a while, IIRC, the numberboard LEDs are also a bit too bright - then could use a higher value resistor.  I'll eventually get to that project but I suspect that in the meantime someone will beat me to it (and to documenting it here).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
Re: Changing LEDs in Cab Forward
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
I've considered this... however, while they are a bit too yellow, when viewing some of the old SP videos, those lights were not really that bright. I just recently added DCC and sound to a first run (4275) and am wrapping up the weathering side of it. What I'd like to do is add a little Tungsten to the loco... I know there's not a lot of "free" space under that shell.   
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub