Author Topic: N Circus thread welcome here or no interest?  (Read 4012 times)

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
N Circus thread welcome here or no interest?
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
I am closing in on the debut of my N scale Circus line. I sense that the vast majority of you are not into this type of modeling although circus isn't really fantasy. The product line covers circus from the steam era to the present.

I lasered 3D masters to 9 different wagons and DKS worked his resin magic so that they could be produced in quantity. The rest will include trapeze and high wire acts, 4-4-0 steam loco and heavyweights, side show tents, various acts, vehicles, performance and holding cages, even a tiger jumping through "fire". That's just a few things. The catalog on the upcoming new site will have between 80 to 100 items depending on how much I/we can get done. Otherwise it will be an ever growing line.

Be honest, I'd rather not waste your time or bandwith if no one is interested and I'll refrain from posting the subject. Stonebridge Models also has a facebook page and an email subscriber newsletter that will show new releases.

I have just started to get to know some of you guys yet I don't know much about trains or rivets. I do like it here, especially since I have moved more into N and much less of Z.

Thanks guys,
Karin

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
    • N Scale Ships
Re: N Circus thread welcome here or no interest?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
Karin,

Go for it! I've appreciated your presence here and in the Z forum. While I'm not in a purchasing mode right now, as we decide where we may eventually settle down, I think you'll find interest and perhaps a market here. I say perhaps a market because it looks like you will have an extensive circus line, and it will take a while for us layout freaks to absorb the possibilities and then design something into our layouts. I'm figuring at least three years for my ships, as a port scene requires space and a burning desire to build one. I think it may be the same with a circus scene, although the availability of cars and car loads might speed up the process.

I've appreciated your partnership with DKS, and have certainly expressed my admiration many times.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +697
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:51:03 PM »
I live in Warren, PA, which is the home of the Warren style circus flatcar - which PRR basically copied to get into the intermodal flatcar business.

I'd love to do some circus models in N, but they have to include that flatcar.  I've been pretty dissapointed by the rather absurd flatcars and circus wagons out there.   

Frankly I'd love to do an entire accurate N circus train model for our local historical society, its part of the story around here that has been almost totally ignored.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:26 PM »
Heck yea, bring it on.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »

I'd love to do some circus models in N, but they have to include that flatcar.  I've been pretty dissapointed by the rather absurd flatcars and circus wagons out there.
I hear ya, so many folks have asked if I was doing the Warren but, like I mentioned before, I'm not very knowledgeable on rolling stock designing. IF, big if, I had exact drawings, could laser cut it only (or the mods to existing flats), if it didn't include casting of any kind, and if I knew I would sell enough of them, THEN it might happen. I actually did laser cut straight "steal" sides to modify a Z scale MTL flat car some time back but it probably wouldn't pass at all in N. So sorry.
Heck yea, bring it on.
Ha! I knew I'd hear this from you! I'm afraid, though, that my circus is very American. Well, maybe if you use the three foot rule!

As far as the wagons are concerned they are nothing like Sparkling Star's version. Not implying better or worse. The nicest quality, or feature, that my wagons have is the 3D scroll work molded in and that they are resin thanks to David.

OK, I will share as they are released. Thanks much!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +413
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:59 PM »
One of my favorite memories from college is looking up just in time to see the whole Ringling Brothers train crossing the Philadelphia high line. Bring it on!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »
sounds awesome can`t wait for your products!
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42:42 AM »
My friend actually used to own a circus,and he had a HUGE O scale circus in his attic,had to be 20X10.Three tents,all hand sewn canvas,the main three ring tent with over ten thousand people,all hand painted,an animal tent with cages,and a freak show tent.It was based in 1947,had every vehicle and train car RBB&B had in '47,all the tents opened to show the insides,and it even had copies of actual 1947 billboards and posters for all the acts and animals..REALLY cool.Brooke is getting up in age,a few years ago,he donated it to a museum somewhere in New England,I think it may be in Vermont?
 My other friend Ralph had a circus tent with an actual,working,magnetic trapeze!!...The RBB&B train parks eight miles from my house every year,and a friend of mine is one of the biggest makers of O scale carnival rides and circus stuff..O is big where I live,and a lot of my friends who actually model O here work at circuses and carnivals,so,yeah,I have at least a passing interest,LOL!!
  If I can find the pics of Brookes circus and I can scan them,I'll post them...

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1095
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
Karin,
Definitely interested in seeing you work your magic in this area.  There always is room for more circus equipment.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »
I do know that there is plenty of circus to be had in both O scale and HO, even G scale these days. But if you were to try to find most of what they offer but in N scale your search would have a dismal end.

I cannot *legally* make and sell RBBB or Sells or many other circus names (because many were bought out by RBBB to keep the rights) without the expensive licensing like MTL did. So I might disappoint, mine are not prototypical. However, there were so many circuses out there in the day, even today, that are smaller, travel, and have high quality acts that would have a name you might not recognize.

I made sure that my poster art gave the choice of both the vintage theme and the modern theme. Same with the logos. Hopefully the quality of the products will help form a sense of plausibility and a true flavor of a genuine circus in those who were hoping for only real life names. Railroads need their DIN data, circuses have the luxury of dazzling the senses without restraint.

And I promise that no animals have been harmed in any way in the making of the "World of Wonder" Circus  :facepalm:

If I knew how to upload a photo here I would but I think I'm still in a probationary period?

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »
I would spend cash money for " close to proto correct " railroad cars and wagons from " any circus " in the 40's and 50's decade . Gonna need decals though , painting is easy , but lack of logos , signs , and correct lettering just might be a deal breaker .   

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +621
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 03:05:09 AM »
If I knew how to upload a photo here I would but I think I'm still in a probationary period?

We don't support uploading of photos, but you should be able to post photos that are hosted elsewhere:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=26436.0

-Gary

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +497
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »
Heck yea .. not my thing - but there are wide variety of interests here .. especially if you base it on proto models .. just keep the giraffes necks inside the cars  ;)

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the mighty PRR!
  • Respect: +14
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
I would be interested in seeing some N Scale circus stuff, especially if it is steam era stuff.
PRRT&HS #8862
Modeling the PRR in N Scale
16mm Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »
Bring it on.  Some of those tractors and small trailers they used  could also be used for farming equipment.