Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/6/13  (Read 18336 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Weekend Update 1/6/13
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
So this project has affectionally been titled "Frankendiner."

Oh, Andrew, that is nice! Whose kitchen vents are those? The ones with the thingies sticking up?
And please keep the pics coming on this one!
Regards, Otto K.

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Oh, Andrew, that is nice! Whose kitchen vents are those? The ones with the thingies sticking up?
And please keep the pics coming on this one!
Regards, Otto K.

Otto,

Thanks!

Those vents are from a Kato detail set.  I can't remember which one off the top of my head.  I got them off the Kato website.
Andrew Hegstad

The Beer Baron

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • The Inverness and Richmond Railway
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »
I picked up this little fella off eBay last week and it needs to be stripped and painted.

And I just found out that there were a couple of lobster canneries in the area I'm modelling, so I'm throwing a few Walthers Modular parts together this weekend.

Drew
Chief Operations Officer
The Inverness and Richmond Railway

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
More work on the paper ...

Not the paper mill,

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »
Now that my new 8 track passenger station yard is laid,wired up and opperational I have moved back to the old yard which is now going to be my staging yard.  I did not like the lead in to the yard and I am adding a new loco area with round house etc that I need to tie into the rest of they layout.  I redid my turnout from the main and I am working out how to split the lead into the turntable and into the yard.  Big issue I have is my yard is full of right hand switches and I really need about 5 or 6 left hand switches.  The majority of my right handers are almost new so I hate to just throw them in the box and buy new ones.  Plus it seems any track is hard to find until the restock shipment comes from Atlas.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
The overly dramatic finale would be the announcement of the ready-to-run version just as we both finish ours.

That would be awesome.  Then I could buy two more instead of building them. 

On the next ones I'm using your method for the grills at the back.  I hate mine, but it took so long to make them that I just don't have the get-up-and-go to redo them.  That and they make up the structural integrity of the rear end.  If I did try to redo them I would likely have to start over with a new shell.  I'm also going to follow your lead and use some GP windows for the front of the cab so I don't have to scratch build that and I can have proper glass in them.  The thought of casting the cab and body crossed my mind but I've never done a two part mold and don't want repeats of those grills on the back.

Lessons learned.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:20:13 PM by craigolio1 »

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
Andrew,

Great work, that looks awesome!  Where did you get the full width roof?  I'd like to get one to kitbash a Ferdinand Magellan, the presidential observation car for FDR/Truman/Eisenhower.

Phillip

Otto,

Thanks!

Those vents are from a Kato detail set.  I can't remember which one off the top of my head.  I got them off the Kato website.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
The diner looks like a great bash.... looking forward to seeing her in NP colours...

I'm finishing detailing the tenth and final GP7/9 that the Puddington Valley Division will roster... next I'll "pretty up" two GP 35's and two GP 38's and that will complete the "Geeps"....

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

hegstad1

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »
Andrew,

Great work, that looks awesome!  Where did you get the full width roof?  I'd like to get one to kitbash a Ferdinand Magellan, the presidential observation car for FDR/Truman/Eisenhower.

Phillip

Hey Norge,

The roof is one that my friend Gregg made from a Rivarossi roof and then put into a mold by Joe Valerio.  They are not a commercially available item but frankly not that difficult to do with some Milliput.  You roll the stuff into a "snake", press it into place, let it dry and sand.  "Ribs" can be added with some .020x.010" styrene strip.  Below are a couple of pictures I took of a 6-3 Pullman I made.

Andrew Hegstad

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »

Could make it more units and do it up like a rail grinding train . Also a few hidden flickering LED's under to give the sparkling metal embers effect .

Interesting thought. I am planning on adding a flashing beacon to the top where the speed selector used to be. My plan right now is to add several Aztec cars behind these guys to complete my track cleaning consist. The thought has occurred to paint the Tomix cars up as locomotives or some kind of self-propelled equipment that would haul a string of boxcars. I'd then hide loco mechs under a pair of boxcars that matched the Aztec shells. The powered boxes would push the Tomixes and pull the Aztecs. Or I can just haul all the cars conventionally. Decisions, decisions.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »

looking at the details on this photo...  is that pallet scratch built? (I am currently doing a project involving pallets)
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
Hi Josh,

Nice looking model

I have two to put to-gether in the next couple of weeks. I hope to take photos of every stage and write something for Allen's site.

Check your skype for a new contact.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »
Added some static grass along the mainline.

Also added some photos to the background behind the warehouse parking lots.

Daryl K

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »
Hey Darly - out of curiousity, what's the depth of your warehouse scene there?
-Mark

hegstad1

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
Nice work Daryl.  A very complete scene from the rolling stock to structures,  track to trees.

Andrew
Andrew Hegstad