Author Topic: Walther's DCC turntable - what are the advantages?  (Read 3782 times)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Walther's DCC turntable - what are the advantages?
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
I noticed that the subject DCC version of the turntable is now available. I saw also saw one in the LHS.  I have the original indexed version which I have wired to run the turntable bridge with the controller supplied.  I redirected the power to the track so that I can run DCC or DC locomotives.  That works fine.
What features or advantages would one gain by using the conversion kit to make the turntable DCC? 
I see the following available:
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Walthers-N-933-2616-Motorized-130-Turntable-p/933-2616.htm

Thanks.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
Re: Walther's DCC turntable - what are the advantages?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »
Believe it just adds support for the trottle they also sell just the unit to convert it
I run DCC but prefer to use there supplied machine
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
There is an add-on for folks that have the "analog" version. Requires dissassembly of the bridge.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/922-2851
(This kit is designed ONLY for use with Walthers Built-ups Turntables #933-2840 (HO 90'), #933-2829 (HO 130'), and #933-2613 (N 130') as noted.)

The S.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
"In addition, any consumer damage will not be covered by any type of warranty. Should a problem arise we will be asking that you send us the product. No warranty claim will be accepted until inspection is complete and cause of problem is determined."

Nice "goof proof" warranty.  Walther's has a lot to learn about the DCC market.

I guess I better get one and convert mine.  I expect it will be experience that comes in handy at some point.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:59:27 AM »

The "DCC" in the Walther's DCC Turntable just means that the turntable controller has been adapted so you can address it like an accessory DCC decoder using your throttle (or JMRI equivalent) to control the turning of the bridge. 

As far as I know, if you do not intend to control the bridge via your throttle, there is no advantage to converting your analog turntable.

John H. Reinhardt

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5391
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
Having fried my standard controller, I'm interested to see if the new controller will fix that problem.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

elnscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »
What features or advantages would one gain by using the conversion kit to make the turntable DCC? 
Roger,

Don't know the answer to your question vis-a-vis the Walthers DCC controller.

However, I added a mobile (locomotive) decode to mine so that it was controllable from a throttle using the F0 and F1 keys. I also powered the decoder from the track.

I found it a waste of time for two reasons: first, it was simpler to just press the controller buttons versus dial up a decoder address and then use the keys on the throttle. Second, I powered it from the track so that I didn't need a walt wart. Worked fine with my Zephyr on my test track. Problem was on the layout with my super chief, it seemed to get messed up often and forget its settings. I determined that the 11.4 v DCC I had on the track from the super chief N setting passing through the decoder left about 10 volts to go to the controller, but the controller needs about 12-20 volts A/C or something like that. And so there just wasn't enough voltage. The reason the Zephyr worked is because it puts out about 17 volts iirc.

Anyway I removed the decoder, still power it by a wall wart and use the controllers buttons.
Steve
Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
www.scrantonstation.com