Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Help
Login
Register
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
Fix'n a steamer
« previous
next »
Print
Pages:
1
2
[
3
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Fix'n a steamer (Read 4415 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
spr1955
Crew
Posts: 167
Gender:
Respect:
+318
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #30 on:
November 10, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
0
Here she is all spread eagle, so to speak.
I first got the orientation correct on the eccentric and then ran her. It was ok but you could see a binding going on. Upon more examination the crank pin is no longer straight, it's at an angle causing the eccentric to be out of plane.
If you look closely at the crankpin hole you can see what appears to be a small crack along with some expansion which probably occurred when I soldered the eccentric (chalk that one up to experience). I don't know if that was a preexisting condition or not but it does point to replacement as the only alternative I have. If someone has a better idea I am open to suggestions.
Hoping when I get a new driver that you guys could help guiding me replacing it ?
Daivd P.
Logged
Dave P
mmagliaro
Crew
Posts: 6499
Gender:
Respect:
+2014
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #31 on:
November 10, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
0
Well, at the risk of making things worse (!) I will keep pitching here...
First, it looks like the crosshead guides (the slider guides) are bent, especially the lower one. It looks like it is bent downward
quite a bit. I don't know if that was just from this photo, but I would attend to that. Get those bent back and straight
so the crosshead will slide back and forth correctly.
As for the crack in the crankpin hole, I wouldn't resort to replacing the whole driver just yet. I think if you get a drop of epoxy
or Loctite in that hole, put the whole thing back together, and get the crankpin to stand up straight while the adhesive sets,
it will probably work.
Logged
victor miranda
Crew
Posts: 1604
Respect:
+2
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #32 on:
November 10, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
0
hi spr1955,
the Help you get here is often hard to sift out from the opinions we have about the best way to fix.
in direct contrast is the fact that as long as you post questions, we will answer.
...well ... that is what has happened in the past.
you have ordered parts from the folks a bachmann?
victor
Logged
spr1955
Crew
Posts: 167
Gender:
Respect:
+318
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #33 on:
November 11, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
0
Nope on ordering parts, taking it slow. I am going to see if I make it (crankpin) sit in the correct position. If I can then I will LocTite it.
Yes, the crossheads were and are really out of place, I noticed that too yesterday and wondered how/when that happened.
I guided the gear into it but as you say it really needs some help. So it goes.
One step at a time and I thank all that are helping me with those steps.
David P.
Logged
Dave P
victor miranda
Crew
Posts: 1604
Respect:
+2
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #34 on:
November 12, 2012, 03:03:45 AM »
0
mmmm.
ok. the easy way may be buying the parts.
on to the fix, from what I see, I'd use medium(blue) loc-tite.
read the insructions. they state to wick out the extra, don't skip that step.
try to get the main crank to stand up square
and give it a run.
Logged
SkipGear
Crew
Posts: 2431
Gender:
Respect:
+647
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #35 on:
November 12, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
0
Victor,
There is a better loctite product for this application. Look for a green loctite, "Sleeve Retainer". It is thicker, doesn't run as much and is designed to hold press in bushings on machinery. A good autoparts store should have it.
Logged
Tony Hines
spr1955
Crew
Posts: 167
Gender:
Respect:
+318
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #36 on:
November 12, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
0
Good tip, thanks Tony.
David P.
Logged
Dave P
victor miranda
Crew
Posts: 1604
Respect:
+2
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #37 on:
November 12, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
0
how permanent is green loc-tite?
the reason for the blue recommendation is that it can be removed when the loco needs service.
victor
Logged
mmagliaro
Crew
Posts: 6499
Gender:
Respect:
+2014
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #38 on:
November 12, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
0
Well, I think the green Loctite Tony is talking about is different than the green loctite I use! I went to LocTite's website,
and I can't find the one he mentioned, but I can find it around the web. So first, let's clarify which "green"
we mean here.
The stuff I use is Threadlocker Green 290.
It is not thick. It is watery thin. It is designed to draw into a joint by capillary action
after parts are joined together, which makes it great for putting on the tip of a driver axle to stop the wheel from slipping,
or put it on a gear on a shaft that is slipping. The "official" rating from Loctite is that it requires some heat to disassemble.
In my experience, sometimes you can get things apart and sometimes not with this stuff, depending on the surfaces. If one
is slippery plastic, you have a shot. If it's metal-on-metal, almost impossible without heat.
I *THINK* the stuff Tony is referring to is Loctite Sleeve Retainer Green 640 (but they also make a 620, so I'm not sure)
(Tony will chime in here, I'm sure to correct me if I've gotten that wrong).
Here is a data sheet on the 640 stuff (this same site has data sheets on a lot of the Loctite products):
http://www.kraftindustrialsupply.com/My%20Scans/640-EN.pdf
Logged
SkipGear
Crew
Posts: 2431
Gender:
Respect:
+647
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #39 on:
November 13, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »
0
640 is what I am talking about. I have used it in both automotive and model railroading applications.
640 -
http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories/thread-compounds/retaining-compounds/permatex--high-temperature-sleeve-retainer-detail
While digging on the Permatex site, it seems they make one that may be even better....680 for "relaxed" fit. It is designed for looser fitting components, sort of a gap filling application.
680 -
http://www.permatex.com/component/virtuemart/permatex--bearing-mount-for-relaxed-fits-detail
They even make 202 for sloppy fitting parts....
202 -
http://www.permatex.com/component/virtuemart/permatex--bearing-mount-for-worn-parts-detail
Logged
Tony Hines
peteski
Crew
Posts: 35325
Gender:
Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
Respect:
+6662
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #40 on:
November 13, 2012, 01:36:07 AM »
0
Permatex and Loctite are different companies, so Loctite "green" and Permatex "green" are different products. That was probably the source of confusion.
EDIT: unless of course Permatex products are just repackaged Loctite (Henkel) products...
«
Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:40:34 AM by peteski
»
Logged
. . . 42 . . .
SkipGear
Crew
Posts: 2431
Gender:
Respect:
+647
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #41 on:
November 13, 2012, 03:40:02 AM »
0
It is quite curious that their part numbers match pretty much across the board. I always knew for Blue Loctite to get 242 which both companies use for a part number. I also have both Loctite and Permatex products that come in identical tubes except for the printing. I never really realized they were not one in the same.
Logged
Tony Hines
mmagliaro
Crew
Posts: 6499
Gender:
Respect:
+2014
Re: Fix'n a steamer
«
Reply #42 on:
November 13, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »
0
I did some poking around the web. They are two separate companies. They probably keep their "red" "blue" and numbering the
same so that customers don't get mixed up and disgruntled. It's no surprise that it's confusing.
Looking online, I found tons of stores that call this stuff "Permatex Loctite",
or call it "Loctite" and then show a photo of the Permatex package for sale.
Heh, like you, Tony, I never thought about it and I didn't realize there were two companies making this stuff.
I though it was all "Loctite".
Logged
Print
Pages:
1
2
[
3
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
Fix'n a steamer