Author Topic: IM AC-12 Sound choices?  (Read 2312 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mike Madonna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 486
  • Respect: +150
IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
0
Good evening all,

Would like to install sound in IM's ACs. Considering either Tsunami or ESU's Lok-Sound. Any imput/experience would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35325
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6662
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:02:03 AM »
0
I will probably get yelled at for this, but why not QSI decoder?  :trollface:

You do know that the latest run of these comes with a Tsunami already installed, right?
. . . 42 . . .

WBRRVP

  • Posts: 24
  • Respect: 0
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:10:36 AM »
0
I have used the Tsunami TSU-750 in the 2 I wired myself and IM used the same decoder in the new run they just shipped with sound. The TSU-750 has a version specific for the SP ACs so you can't really go wrong with it.  You can use the small oval speaker, wire the decoder to an NMRA style 8 pin connector (I had extras laying around), leave the IM circuit board in place, wire the capacitor and then with a little shoehorn get it all crammed into the tender. With this decoder you can also program the short/alternate whistle function (F3 toggle) to switch the whistle between the whistle and the air horn.

Jerry VanThomme
www.washingtonbeltrr.com

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:32 AM »
0
I will probably get yelled at for this, but why not QSI decoder?  :trollface:

You do know that the latest run of these comes with a Tsunami already installed, right?

Peteski,
  If a QSI was available that would fit it, I would fully agree. The only N scale decoder QSI has done so far is the one that came in the Walthers Y-3 and it is still my benchmark for N scale steam sound. I just wish they would make it available other than OEM.

I haven't heard the Lok Sound Select but I don't like the full blown Lok Sound. They are very expensive for one and the have a very poor and noticable lack of transition between slow speed chuff sound and high speed chuff sounds. The programmer for the Lok Sound so that you can put accurate SP sounds in it also adds to the cost drastically.

The Tsunami is the easy answer as there is a TSU-750 available with specific cab forward sounds already.
Tony Hines

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35325
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6662
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »
0
Tony,
Couple of years ago (right after I bough the AC-12 from the first run) I measured the tender and decided that QSI Revolution U/W would fit it, so I bought one. I haven't installed it yet (that shows how backed up I am with projects).  :facepalm:  In the meantime, I also tried to see if it would fit in the FVM Hiawatha 4-4-2 tender and I think I can shoehorn it in, if I strip the clear shrink wrap around it!

But Revolution was discontinued in the meantime. Isn't the QSI Titan U the same size as Revolution U/W?  The connectors would probably have to be removed but it should fit in the AC-12 tender.  I wish QSI would get their act together and produce the Titan Micro!
. . . 42 . . .

Mike Madonna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 486
  • Respect: +150
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:54:29 PM »
0
Thanks for the imput. I recently saw on YouTube a video done by Streamlined Backshop Services of their sound install. They used the LokSound Select Micro sound decoder with a Zimo "Sugar Cube" speaker. The decoder has the proper sounds ("stuttering" stack talk, whistle, air horn, air pumps, etc) of the Cab-Ahead downloaded. It sounds pretty darn good. That said, the Tsunami is nice too. I guess it comes down to cost of items and if I do the install myself. Again, all imput was/is appreciated.
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Flagler

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 391
  • Respect: -43
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
0
 :DI  Ok I purchased a AC-12 with DCC Sound for The Pacific Interchange Railroad,My first  n scale engine with sound!!!!

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Respect: +1975
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »
0
Flagler, you're in trouble now....I predict you'll get hooked :P

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3567
  • Respect: +1944
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »
0
Flagler, you're in trouble now....I predict you'll get hooked :P

I agree.   I am, no matter what DKS says.

Flagler

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 391
  • Respect: -43
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59:24 AM »
0
My Kato Gs-4's started acting up on Sunday.I started to run steam for the first time in over a year,getting ready for the arrival of the AC-12. The problems  reminded me why I always get nervous when spending big bucks for steam.

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3567
  • Respect: +1944
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 01:52:03 AM »
0
My Kato Gs-4's started acting up on Sunday.I started to run steam for the first time in over a year,getting ready for the arrival of the AC-12. The problems  reminded me why I always get nervous when spending big bucks for steam.

I really don't know what I'm doing that's different, but, I have no problems running steam.  That includes several brass FEF's, brass Consolidateds, brass USRA light Mikes, Athearn Big Boys and Challengers and my son's Kato GS-4's (four of 'em).  I sold my brass Big Boys and Challengers because they wouldn't pull worth a crap...but, they ran okay.

When I break my layout down and haul 'em to three shows a year, I have no problems with any of my steam locos running them there.

Last show, one of my son's Kato GS-4's threw a TT, but the rest ran for hours without a hitch.

Guess I'm just lucky, 'cause I don't do anything special for my steam that I don't do for my diesel locomotives. 

At the Evanston WY Roundhouse Festival earlier this year.  One Big Boy, one Challenger, one GS-4 and a lashup of E7's being run by my son.


Flagler

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 391
  • Respect: -43
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »
0
The Ac-12 arived today,the Jury is out.It sure is a picky engine, it shows me were all my bad track work is.Its fun however with the sound.

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3567
  • Respect: +1944
Re: IM AC-12 Sound choices?
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »
0
Wish I could justify a few.  My son's a SSPF, but we're only buying engines that ran into and through Ogden Yard from 1951 through 1956.  Although cab forwards did make it to Ogden in that time period, they were earlier models.

Ah well...helps us save up for our pre-order of Athearn Big Boys and Challengers comin' in December and January!