Author Topic: old time shorty passenger cars  (Read 2858 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

billvassar45

  • Guest
old time shorty passenger cars
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
0
 does anybody know where a person can get about a dozen passenger and combine cars of the old time version for sale or trade. painted or not. any road name will do.

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
0
Republic Locomotive Works has a few kits for NG cars that can be adapted for SG.
https://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com/

Otherwise I've seen Athern 4-car sets pop up at my LHS once in awhile on consignment.
M.C. Fujiwara

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
0
also, look for some Bachmann "Oldtimer" passenger cars as well....they used to be real common, now they are only in a train set

jmlaboda - RIP

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2181
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »
0
Check the 'Bay for Athearn and MDC "Overton" (the SERA short ones) and "Overland" models.  Should be fairly easy to find...

brokemoto

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Respect: +296
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
0

For what kind are you looking?

Are you looking for the wood, nineteenth century cars?

If so, as others have stated, the MDCs and Athearns do pop up frequently on FeePay.  Some shops also have them as NOS.  Further, someone usually has some at a show.  Did you want the fifty or thirty four foot cars?  I have seen both kinds in the aforementioned places.

The Bachmann wood cars pop up in the same places.  They are available in sets with the eight wheelers, but some stores do have the individual cars.  I also see them at shows.  The Arnold cars pop up at shows, from time to time.  They are essentially the same as the Bachpersonn cars.

OR

Were you looking for the B-mann sixty five foot shorty steel cars, that are based on a Northwestern prototype?

Those are out of production.  I do not know if they pop up on FeePay, but I see them at shows, generally with a price tag on them that far exceeds their value.   They are not easy to find, which is why they command such a price, but you can find them if you are willing to look.  There are several reasons for their popularity.  Their length makes them suitable for the sharper curves and turnouts on home pikes.  An eighty five foot car looks silly on eleven inch curves and can derail on them, as well.  They are also good for bashing and upgrading.  They are the only shorty steel standard cars ever manufactured in any quantity.  Their quality is pretty good.  They track well.

I would expect that if they do appear on FeePay that they trigger a bidding and sniping war.

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2655
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1027
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
0
I have the 65' Bachperson shortys. I love them, but I wouldn't call them "Oldtimers." Definetly 1920-1930s feel about them. If I was going to go for the "Old timer" feel, I'd be going for the bachmann old coaches that came with the 4-4-0. they are really good kit-bash fodder. Change the trucks, lower them, change out the couplers, and do some other tweaks to them, they can be sweet little coaches. I got one I knocked the duckbill roof off one, made a flat round roof, lowered it, added MT couplers, and made a logging crew car out of it.
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35325
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6662
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
0
When Bill mentioned "combine" that still doesn't positively identify which cars, as there are 2 Bachmann series with a combine:

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/passenger/bachold.html
http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/passenger/bachheavy.html

I suspect Bill is looking for the 47' "old-timer" cars.
. . . 42 . . .

mionerr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 109
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
0
I've got a some extra Arnold Rapido coaches and combine cars and Bachmann coaches and combine cars. I've also got some of the "newer" Bachmann heavyweights (1920s?), observation, diner, coach, combine. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Roger Otto
Pueblo, CO

billvassar45

  • Guest
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »
0
don't know what you have, let me know, looking for the shorties. b'mann or mdc or arnlod repido are all ok.

mionerr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 109
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »
0
I got down to the basement and dug them out.

2 Bachmann combines UP
2 Bachmann coaches UP
1 Arnold combine Western & Atlantic
2 Arnold coaches Western & Atlantic


Roger Otto
Pueblo, CO

billvassar45

  • Guest
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »
0
what do you want for them?

mionerr

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 109
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: old time shorty passenger cars
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
0
6 bucks each or $40 for all, postage included. Check or Paypal.
Roger Otto
Pueblo, CO