Author Topic: Reverse Loops/Wyes with DCC?  (Read 1224 times)

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
Reverse Loops/Wyes with DCC?
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
Is it easy to operate a reverse loop or wye using DCC? When I finally build my layout, I want the simplified wiring DCC allows, but would a reversing loop complicate things too much?

Hmm... electricity and
Kiz... nothing good can
come of this...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +58
    • Conrail's Portland Line
Re: Reverse Loops/Wyes with DCC?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »
No a reverse loop is pretty easy. You can get auto reversers for about $24, and it only uses 4 wires. Does everything except wire up for ya.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »
No a reverse loop is pretty easy. You can get auto reversers for about $24, and it only uses 4 wires. Does everything except wire up for ya.

Well, that's good to kn(BZZZZZZAP) ow ow ow ow ow...

Hmm... did I call it, or
what...?

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
"It works! It works!"

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
MRC  
reversers seem better suited to wyes as thier action is not always kind to fast trains.  This may only be my experience so others may want to chime in on that. 

My experience has been mostly with Digitrax AR1s that work pretty well but the four segments of the PM42 can be wired for reversing, and helps you by creating power districts for ease of troubleshoting a layout...
Support fine modeling

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »
MRC  
reversers seem better suited to wyes as thier action is not always kind to fast trains...

I just want something to reverse locomotives. Nothing fancy. (I may have to go to the hospital...)

Hmm... I finally got Kiz
all bandaged up...tzzzzt...
just joking, Kiz...

"It works! It works!"

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »
Is it easy to operate a reverse loop or wye using DCC? When I finally build my layout, I want the simplified wiring DCC allows, but would a reversing loop complicate things too much?

Reverse loops in DCC are wired no differently than in analog DC...  except that you can replace a reversing DPDT toggle switch with an electronic auto-reverser so you don't have to do anything manually while operating.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
MRC  
reversers seem better suited to wyes as thier action is not always kind to fast trains.  This may only be my experience so others may want to chime in on that. 

My experience has been mostly with Digitrax AR1s that work pretty well but the four segments of the PM42 can be wired for reversing, and helps you by creating power districts for ease of troubleshoting a layout...

I've got a PM42 with one of the 4 segments wired to control both of the reversing loops on my layout.  Works great as long as you a.) isolate the reversing track electrically; and b.) ensure that the length of the reversing track is longer than the longest consist you plan on running -- Digitrax has a recommnedation in their manual on this, if I recall.  The PM42 also has some options you can set to control how fast the reverser flips, but I've not had to play with that.
Regards,
Paul

krokodil

• Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
For my wyes I have been using Tony's PSX-AR autoreversers. These useful if the switch at the tip of the wye is motorized (mine are too far away for hand throws), as this decoders also provides an out put for a switch  motor that is controlled by the polarity of the wye. Basically the entire wye (two legs and tip) is controlled by the reverser. As soon as the reverser senses a short it reverses polarity and also throws the switch in the automatically in the right direction. To change the switch direction the rail gap of the desired track needs to be shortened out (achieved with a push button). No more figuring out if the switch in the right position if an engine enters the wye.

Thomas

rsn48

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
See my thread on the tortoise and the hare (or Wabbit).  You can have a reversing loop that will self throw so you could have a loop to loop layout with continuous running.  Of course even though the loop is set to auto, you can over ride and throw the turnout the non-auto direction.
Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »
DCC autoreversers are simple to install. The more expensive solid state units seem to operate a little faster then the relay based reversers. like DC reverse loops and wyes, the reverse section or loop needs to be isolated from the main.
 DCC is simpler to use. With  DC reverse loops,  the track past the gap needs to have its polarity matched. the train can't exit the loop until the next block matches.
With DCC, the loop itself is reversed right under the train while it is running. It's done so fast that the decoder doesn't notice. Since the decoder tells the motor which way to spin, forward will still be forward when the track phase is swapped.

Martin Myers

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +1918
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »
DCC autoreversers are simple to install. The more expensive solid state units seem to operate a little faster then the relay based reversers.

Does anybody still actually make relay based DCC auto reversers?!  :RUEffinKiddingMe:
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm puzzled!!!!

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
Does anybody still actually make relay based DCC auto reversers?!  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Digitrax PM42's are relay based.  Still.  There were aging problems with the earlier units but I think that got straightened out.  I use the PSX brand circuit breaker personally.  My HCD has no reversing section so I don't need an auto-reverser.

John H Reinhardt
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Flagler

• Crew
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
For my wyes I have been using Tony's PSX-AR autoreversers. These useful if the switch at the tip of the wye is motorized (mine are too far away for hand throws), as this decoders also provides an out put for a switch  motor that is controlled by the polarity of the wye. Basically the entire wye (two legs and tip) is controlled by the reverser. As soon as the reverser senses a short it reverses polarity and also throws the switch in the automatically in the right direction. To change the switch direction the rail gap of the desired track needs to be shortened out (achieved with a push button). No more figuring out if the switch in the right position if an engine enters the wye.
Doe this work with kato Turnouts?
Thomas