Author Topic: MicroScale PRR steam decals  (Read 1449 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mike_lawyer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 837
  • Respect: +178
MicroScale PRR steam decals
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
0
I ordered a set of MicroScale PRR steam decals from the late steam era.  One thing I noticed in comparing them with the decals supplied in the GHQ L1 kit is that the MicroScale decals are MUCH smaller in size than the GHQ supplied decals.  Is this correct, or did I somehow get a bad set of decals?

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11823
Re: MicroScale PRR steam decals
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »
0
Mike, I've always thought the GHQ decals were too large.  The MicroScale ones are great for pre-war through the late 40s both in size and color.  By the 50s though it sure looks like they were using the same PRR Lettering Buff color you'd see on diesels.  I actually used PRR diesel decals from MicroScale for my Pennsy steam to represent late 50s, well after that "Deluxe Gold" fell out of favor.

dougnelson

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2417
    • PRR N Scale
Re: MicroScale PRR steam decals
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »
0
Mike:

PRR tender lettering is 8" high, and the Microscale lettering is right on.  The GHQ is probably too large.  Depending which tender and era you are lettering however, the spacing is more of an issue.  I actually used lettering from a diesel set to get closer to the correct spacing for the K4.  The PRRT&HS modeling committee has been working with them to correct this problem and if you look at the artwork on the Microscale website, you will see a version with a variety of spacing.  Unfortunately they only show HO images and they have not yet made this change on their N scale decals.



mike_lawyer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 837
  • Respect: +178
Re: MicroScale PRR steam decals
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
0
Mike, I've always thought the GHQ decals were too large.  The MicroScale ones are great for pre-war through the late 40s both in size and color.  By the 50s though it sure looks like they were using the same PRR Lettering Buff color you'd see on diesels.  I actually used PRR diesel decals from MicroScale for my Pennsy steam to represent late 50s, well after that "Deluxe Gold" fell out of favor.

Do you recall which diesel set you used?  I agree that the yellow color is more appropriate for the late steam era.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12297
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11823
Re: MicroScale PRR steam decals
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
0
The one for hood units...  The sheet number escapes me.