Author Topic: Need SPF assistance: Operating the N 4th St Terminal in Brooklyn NY.  (Read 4202 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11618
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Need SPF assistance: Operating the N 4th St Terminal in Brooklyn NY.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:52 PM »
0
Those are so Pennsy looking too.

S Class

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 302
  • Respect: +6
Re: Need SPF assistance: Operating the N 4th St Terminal in Brooklyn NY.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:50 AM »
0
At one time I took an aerial photo for it, sized it to the size of that block (but in N scale) then started tracing track in CAD
(photos omitted)

GREAT CAESARS GHOST! that is hawtness and thensome.

so noting the operative once has this track work been disposed of, repurposed or do you still have an would be willing to part with it in exchange for financial reimbursement?


I actually drew freehand a "inspired by" plan based on this facility onto a 2' by 3' bit of plywood seriously considering ordering up some pcb ties, rail and giving my own turnouts a go.
Regards
Tony A

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19627
  • Respect: +6940
Re: Need SPF assistance: Operating the N 4th St Terminal in Brooklyn NY.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 03:49:37 AM »
0
Sorry there is nothing left. ( I start a lot more than I finish! ) It was something like 2x6' and there were around 15 turnouts all built in one piece. I planned to have the Westside highway, but the float would hang off. My backdrop was going to be the Terminal Stores with a track running behind it.

I gathered all the info on this terminal before the website went up...


You could always freelance a carfloat terminal. Here is a trackplan based on the Bush terminals:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/HopelessProjects#5309242440681160642

The 44T would make nice power:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ErieChris333/HopelessProjects#5352500054188908994


S Class

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 302
  • Respect: +6
Re: Need SPF assistance: Operating the N 4th St Terminal in Brooklyn NY.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:51 AM »
0
For mine I will go with the Erie terminal "based on", just considering how well it fit in such a confined space IRL.

My main aim, without seeming to be stuck up, will be to avoid doing yet another harlem station so mine will be in Brooklyn as the bush terminal has left an impression. Plus I'm a semi-modern modeler so the idea of New York as it appears in the movies from the 80's of a run down place, cold, wet, dark - very atmospheric, much like Prof Klyzrs (sp?) "New York 3A.M" micro that I absolutely love.
Plus there's conrail and every good layout needs conrail  :trollface:.

I think given my druthers I would incorporate an element of every line on a combined shelf/HCD arrangement that has bush terminal and their off street warehouses and 1st/39th junction, NY dock's Baltic st, Brooklyn Army and/or Naval terminal, the Rathole-esq arrangement that the EBDT used to go around the PRR N 4th terminal and probably throw in some El action, Long Island and a homage to the NYC highline in Manhattan. 
Regards
Tony A