Author Topic: Scratch building plans  (Read 5284 times)

gary70s

• Respect: 0
Scratch building plans
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »
Some of you may be familiar with my scratch plans from other forums under the username gary60s. I call these plans "sketch sets" as I use sketches drawn with Google Sketch-up. These sets include overviews, assembly drawing blowups with directions and materials, printable parts templates, and PDF's. This makes it very easy to make projects.

I've never charged a penny for any of these plans, and don't intend to, so they're all FREE.

Anyway, I've been requested to put some of those plans here, in particular service facilities and engine houses.

Bear in mind that scratchbuilding is a cheap way to construct structures, but in no way do they compare to the detail provided with injection molded plastic kits or the fine quality of laserkits.

Unfortunately, I only do these in normal N scale. Unless there are any objections, I will copy some of them here.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:24:35 PM by gary70s »

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
Re: Scratch building plans
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
Gary,

Welcome to the RailWire. You will find that we are a bit on the wild side here but keep it friendly as a
rule.
I'm not familiar with your plans but look forward to seeing them.

Just one of the  :ashat: !!  :D

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
Welcome aboard, Gary!  Having seen most of your stuff on another forum, I'm glad to see you spreading out your distribution here.  And one of these days I'll actually get around to building the one you sent me. :D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Welcome to the Wire, Gary. Very much looking forward to seeing the plans.

gary70s

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately I just discovered that the only way to post pictures (or sketches) here is to use a picture hosting site. I have had way too many problems with those sites and refuse to use them. And yes...I am old and set in my ways.

I hope I'm not disappointing too many here.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:59:50 PM »
Gary,

I have had zero problems using Google as a hosting site for the past three years or so.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
I have had way too many problems with those sites and refuse to use them. And yes...I am old and set in my ways.

Picasa has a pretty spotless record, IMO; been using it for almost as long as Picasa has been around, with no problems.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately I just discovered that the only way to post pictures (or sketches) here is to use a picture hosting site. I have had way too many problems with those sites and refuse to use them. And yes...I am old and set in my ways.

It's not the only way.  All you need is somewhere on the web.  Almost every ISP I've ever had provided me with free space that could be used to post pictures.

Any number of people could help you out if you really wanted to post something.

Jason

gary70s

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
I'm too used to posting directly from my hard drive with NO problems. Copyright issues are not a factor as all of my sketches are originally done by me.

CoalPorter

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »
"Bear in mind that scratchbuilding is a cheap way to construct structures, but in no way do they compare to the detail provided with injection molded plastic kits or the fine quality of laserkits"

Maybe in some cases, but overall, I would not agree with that statement. Lasers can only cut, but they can aling parts, glue, paint, or detail
and they sure cant design anything. It's quite easy to equal or exceed laser cut n scale kits. Some things about laser
kits really bug me too. for example, many end and corner trim that is WAY over sized. It would be like using 4X12s to trim out
a wood sided house. Also, allot of times laser cut window frames look awefull and crude. Anthore thing I hate is laser
cut fencing or fine fret work - the 2D look does not work when the object is really 3D (for example, fence posts and rails
are in the same plane!).

The only tuff thing is doing brick buildings in n, but it can be done.
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
I'm too used to posting directly from my hard drive with NO problems. Copyright issues are not a factor as all of my sketches are originally done by me.

If these are images that you posted elsewhere, you can always simply provide links to them. I don't think they necessarily need to be embedded in posts here in order to be useful.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
If these are images that you posted elsewhere, you can always simply provide links to them. I don't think they necessarily need to be embedded in posts here in order to be useful.

Yeah Gary, you can link or embed from other sites:

Either will work fine.  The point is getting the word out.  Central distribution is just fine.  And I'm always around (as you well know) so I'm glad to walk you through the steps. :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:57:09 AM by pwnj »

bc6

• Crew
    • PRLX Leasing
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »
I higly reccomend you guys check out garys plans. I built Wootys resturant (pics below) andi was a blast to do, it needs more work but Im happy.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
I higly reccomend you guys check out garys plans. I built Wootys resturant (pics below) andi was a blast to do, it needs more work but Im happy.

I'd be quite happy to check 'em out. But where the hell are they?

Jim

bc6

• Crew
    • PRLX Leasing
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »
I'd be quite happy to check 'em out. But where the hell are they?

Jim

I think he's working on getting the plans over here.