Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Help
Login
Register
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose (Read 1916 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Bendtracker1
Crew
Posts: 1546
Remember The Rock!
Respect:
+1647
MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
on:
September 01, 2012, 03:36:24 AM »
0
Was wondering if anyone has converted an Athearn Bay Window caboose to Micro Trains couplers?
If so, which did you use or what did you have to do to it?
The MTL site says to use 1015's.
Thanks,
Allen...
Logged
Allen...
The Little Rock Line
bbussey
Crew
Posts: 9384
Gender:
Respect:
+6189
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #1 on:
September 01, 2012, 03:50:12 AM »
0
The coupler pocket is not compatible with MTL couplers. If you want a smaller coupler head than the McHenry, swap in Accu-Mates.
Logged
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale
Bendtracker1
Crew
Posts: 1546
Remember The Rock!
Respect:
+1647
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #2 on:
September 01, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
0
Thanks Brian!
I was hoping for a MTL but the Accumate will do fine. Just don't like the size of the McHenry nor the spring. I noticed that I've lost two of them so far. grrr
Is this the only style [23015] that Atlas makes? Meaning the length of the shaft. They stick out quite a ways and was hoping for a smaller space. If not, at least I don't have to put up with the MH's.
Allen...
«
Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:04:27 PM by Bendtracker1
»
Logged
Allen...
The Little Rock Line
sdodge
Crew
Posts: 214
Gender:
Respect:
-1
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #3 on:
September 01, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »
0
I once removed the entire coupler pocket from an Atlas caboose and cemented an assembled MT 1015 in it's place. Kinda funky but so far it is held up probably because it is on the end of the train.
Logged
hunter_alexander
Crew
Posts: 113
Respect:
+6
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #4 on:
September 01, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
0
My Athern bay window caboose has mt couplers on it. I will look and see how they installed them but it looks like they used the original coupler pocket.
Logged
hunter_alexander
Crew
Posts: 113
Respect:
+6
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #5 on:
September 01, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »
0
Here is the caboose with the original coupler pocket and a mt coupler in it. Not sure what type they used but hope it helps.
Logged
Wutter
Crew
Posts: 398
Gender:
Respect:
+251
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #6 on:
September 01, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »
0
I believe that picture is of an Atlas caboose....Athearn Bay Windows have a screwed in coupler lid with a center post...
Logged
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://wvdproducts.com
tehachapi highlight reel:
hunter_alexander
Crew
Posts: 113
Respect:
+6
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #7 on:
September 01, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
0
They are Athern. I have two of them. They are the short bay window sort of correct for the NYC. Athern is the only one that has done this type that I know of besides TrainCat brass kits.
This one I purchased with the mt couplers already installed. The other one is factory fresh with the rapido type couplers.
I have no idea beyond that of what type of mt coupler.
Logged
Wutter
Crew
Posts: 398
Gender:
Respect:
+251
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #8 on:
September 02, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »
0
Oh. I was thinking about the new release bay windows, like this one:
Logged
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://wvdproducts.com
tehachapi highlight reel:
hunter_alexander
Crew
Posts: 113
Respect:
+6
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #9 on:
September 02, 2012, 06:21:03 AM »
0
Ah, sorry about that. Havent seen the new Athearn like that.
Logged
central.vermont
Crew
Posts: 2627
Gender:
Jon
Respect:
+148
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #10 on:
September 02, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »
0
Quote from: hunter_alexander on September 01, 2012, 08:36:23 PM
Hunter, if you take out that white metal pocket piece you will find on the top of it there will be a number on it.
Jon
Logged
hunter_alexander
Crew
Posts: 113
Respect:
+6
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #11 on:
September 02, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
0
I will do that. Thanks. I didnt know that.
Gotta wait until the kids take their nap first.
Logged
Ike the BN Freak
Crew
Posts: 1639
Respect:
+119
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #12 on:
September 02, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »
0
Hunter, that looks to be the Walther's bay window caboose, not the Athearn ones. I have both, and the details on the Walther's caboose is cruder, like the pic you posted than the Athearn under detail that wutter posted.
All of the Athearn cabooses have mchenry's and screw on coupler box lids.
This is the only one Athearn has done,
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH23207
Walther's does the short bay window,
http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/press/1998/Caboose
only link I could find.
Logged
hunter_alexander
Crew
Posts: 113
Respect:
+6
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #13 on:
September 02, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
0
Well after digging up the boxes, you are correct.
Logged
Bendtracker1
Crew
Posts: 1546
Remember The Rock!
Respect:
+1647
Re: MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose
«
Reply #14 on:
September 02, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
0
Hunter,
Ike is correct! Whatever you are showing is not an Athearn bay window caboose. The first thing I seen was the coupler pocket cap laying to the left of the floor and the lack of detail. But thanks anyway.
I wound up using bbussey's suggestion of using an Accumate for now.
Thanks for all the input.
Allen...
Logged
Allen...
The Little Rock Line
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
TheRailwire
»
General Discussion
»
N and Z Scales
»
MTL for an Athearn bay window caboose