Author Topic: Does Dullcote go bad?  (Read 3083 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bc6

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Does Dullcote go bad?
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
0
I have a can of Testors Dullcote spray and I use to knock the shine off objects, its less than a month old. Does this stuff go bad, I recently tried to spray a building with it and the building was shiny instead of dull what gives?

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19624
  • Respect: +6939
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
0
Did you shake it? There is talc in it and it settles.  I have Dullcote that is 7-8 years old and still works fine.

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
0
Store 
dullcote inverted, don't know why this is, but it seems to distribute/emulsify the contents better this way.  Shake vigorously with your non-spray hand until your arm goes completely numb.  Place can as deeply  as possible in hot tap water for a few minutes to get a finer mist.  Towel dry and shake a bit more before using.  Test on cardboard or other handy surface before spraying a model.  Invert can and spray until you get aerosol only flowing to clean/clear the nozzle so it works great next time...
Support fine modeling

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
0
Dullcote and other mat finish "paints or coating" contain fine particles that give the mat finish. 
If they are not shaken or mixed well before use, the particles may settle. 
Of course, the other issue with spray cans is keeping the nozzle clean after use.
Most manufacturers now say to turn can upside down and spray until "clear."
That seems to work with the ones I have.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
0
Dullcote is basically glosscote with flattening agent which separates and settles down on the bottom of the bottle/can if left stationary for a day or so. If you didn't shake the bejesus out of it before spraying then the flattening agent (probably talcum) will not get mixed into the glossy clear lacquer.
. . . 42 . . .

bc6

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
0
Thanks guys, I hadnt shaken the can before spraying it, I will now lol.

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
0
Funny thing is that I'm so conditioned to vigorously shake *ALL* spray cans of paint that I would never even think of not shaking a can before and during spraying.  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

PAL_Houston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 823
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +17
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »
0
Funny thing is that I'm so conditioned to vigorously shake *ALL* spray cans of paint that I would never even think of not shaking a can before and during spraying.  ;)

...but I don't necessarily like shaking them until "my arm goes numb"....or is that just me?
Regards,
Paul

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
0
...but I don't necessarily like shaking them until "my arm goes numb"....or is that just me?

Well.... the trick is to shake them til your arm goes numb but make sure that your shaking arm is not the one you'll use for actually spraying.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

pnolan48

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +136
Re: Does Dullcote go bad?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
0
If it says to shake vigorously for one minute, shake harder for two minutes. I use a tub of hot tap water for a minute or two halfway through the shake. I use an egg timer, as I'm always amazed at how long two minutes last when shaking the bejeezus out of something.