Author Topic: Any one know what this used to be?  (Read 2788 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
0
Judging by the trucks and the slots in the shell it looks like a Model Power or Mechano diesel from the 70s or 80s. SD45?  Unless it has some sort of nostalgic value, I would not bid on it.
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11883
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +945
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
0
Concor SD45 (Mehano)


Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
0
Thanks gents.  I don't think ICG actually had any SD 45s in that scheme . . . and I can roll my own . . . but the lack of truck side frames and the missing wheel intrigued me . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35320
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6660
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
0
For more info on the Con-Cor version see http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/ccsd.html
For the Mehano version see http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/yugosd45.html
. . . 42 . . .

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »
0
Phil I think I have one of those in PRR stashed somewhere.  If I can find it, you can have it.

Bendtracker1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1546
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1647
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
0
Thanks gents.  I don't think ICG actually had any SD 45s in that scheme . . . a

Phil they had one lone SD45, #7000




Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26113
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11617
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:58 AM »
0
My guess would be Pro-Plan, maybe Alpo or Purina (or the Wegmans stuff that Damian chooses over any of it). Doesn't look like it originally came from a can...

Seriously, the crap we used to think was acceptable. Sometimes I'm amazed that people stuck with N scale long enough to get to the AK RS-3... but then I remember, I had one of this guy's SD40-2s brothers.

GimpLizard

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 551
  • Respect: +63
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:41:06 AM »
0
One of my first N scale locos was an early 80's Model Power SD-45. Considering it only had one powered truck, it wasn't THAT bad of a runner. 'course it wasn't all that great, either. Still, it was sent to the scrapper once the AK RS-3 showed up.

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
0
There's a picture of that exact engine (ICG 5325) in my 1981 Model Power catalog. So, that would make it one of these little Mehano catastrophes -



POS when new, so virtually worthless as shown in that auction.

Cheers,
-Mark

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »
0
Phil I think I have one of those in PRR stashed somewhere.  If I can find it, you can have it.

No thanks, as Bendtracker points out ICG did have a single SD45, but the MP number is the wrong road number and the prototype has more flaired radiators.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3848
  • Respect: +1596
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
0
ICG 7000 also had those cool L-shaped right-side windshields that were briefly popular.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »
0
You the third person who didn't want it.  Can't even give that POS away.  Guess I'll save it for wreck damaged loads or place it in a junkyard cut up somewhat. 

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »
0
You the third person who didn't want it.  Can't even give that POS away.  Guess I'll save it for wreck damaged loads or place it in a junkyard cut up somewhat.

Or you could test gravity with it.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12348
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8596
Re: Any one know what this used to be?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55:27 PM »
0
You the third person who didn't want it.  Can't even give that POS away.  Guess I'll save it for wreck damaged loads or place it in a junkyard cut up somewhat.

Does it blend?   :D

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.