Author Topic: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions  (Read 5221 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
0
I am making my first N steam purchase, a mainline loco to be used for excursions, etc.

I'm not really too picky on the prototype other than it is to be:
- a good runner
- typical of East/Northeast roads.
- roadname does not matter.

I was looking at the Bachmann Light mountain. (revised DCC ready one)

Opinions? Suggestions
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:48:05 AM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Bendtracker1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1546
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1647
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:06 PM »
0
The Life-Like Berkshire might be a good choice.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
0
The Life-Like Berkshire might be a good choice.

I was thinking that, but then again I would most likely want to B&Mize it...which would require a crap ton of mods and a coffin water heater!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19624
  • Respect: +6939
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:37 AM »
0
The Berk runs great, but doesn't pull much. I don't own a mountain so I will guess it will pull much more, but with Bachmann you could get a dud. Run before you buy if you can.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:30:03 AM »
0
Ok. Not looking to pull much. Perhaps 4-6 passenger cars.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

reinhardtjh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3157
  • Respect: +423
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:18:48 AM »
0

The Bachmann Mountains are pretty good runners.  I don't remember if you are DCC or not, but the heavies come with a passable DCC decoder installed and if you intend to do some mods anyway, then Trainworld has one on sale cheap (Illinois Central for ~$80). I bought 3 from them earlier this spring.  You could also easily pull 4-6 passenger cars with the ten-wheeler which is also DCC equipped and very few of those have been clunkers after the initial run.  If Ebay doesn't scare you off then check out "The Favorite Spot", a seller from TX that sells tons of Bachmann steamers at decent prices.  Otherwise TrainWord or MBKlein have good prices if the items are in stock.

  John H. Reinhardt
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19624
  • Respect: +6939

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
0
The engines mentioned are all in my roster, but light Mountain is not transformed to DCC at this time.
I have 3 of the Kato GS-4 engines; one I had custom painted in a simple B&O blue scheme, the other 2 were purchased as the black SP version and tender repainted and Baltimore and Ohio lettering added.
These are very nice running engines.   I have the standard KOBO decoder installed, but not DCC sound or light control.
Another thought for the 4 to 6 cars is the B'mann 2-8-0 with dual mode DC and DCC.
Klein also have some Kato 2-8-2's listed with KOBO DCC conversion.  No experience with them in DCC, but have 5 that are DC.
 8)

muktown128

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1023
  • Respect: +169
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:45:40 AM »
0
Ian,

I have a Kato 2-8-2.  It runs great.
I have 2 Bachmann 2-8-0's.  They both run great.
I have Bachmann light 4-8-2.  It runs OK.
I have 2 Bachmann heavy 4-8-2's.  They both run OK.

Based on this, I would steer towards the 2-8-2 or 2-8-0. 

I have purchased stuff from thefavoritespot and would buy from them again.  They have tons of Bachmann stuff for auction.  Their prices are pretty consistent for the items I was watching and/or purchased and much cheaper than their "Buy It Now" listings.

Scott

sizemore

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2780
  • Respect: +146
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »
0
Go with the Bachmann Consolidation or a Model Power Pacific with 3/4 passenger cars. Heavier steam, means bigger facilities, and bukoo dinero to keep it moving, higher insurance policies. Take a note from Strasburg, Cumberland Scenic, and Georges Creek...all lighter steam.

The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »
0
Go with the Bachmann Consolidation or a Model Power Pacific with 3/4 passenger cars. Heavier steam, means bigger facilities, and bukoo dinero to keep it moving, higher insurance policies. Take a note from Strasburg, Cumberland Scenic, and Georges Creek...all lighter steam.

The S.

But its not a tourist line, it has to be heavy steam to keep up on the main line. Think Chessie, SP 4449 or MILW 261 steam excursions. I'd live some of the 2-8-0 Consolidation as they were B&M fave's. Those may work as they were popular commuter engines up here.

The GS4 is out because of its styling making it not northeast worthy. Its a nice runner but will distract. I do like the Mike as well as the Berks. I just picked up a DCC ready 2nd run mountain for the cheap from MBK so I will give that and possibly a Berk a try.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

mcjaco

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1754
  • Respect: +147
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
0
I'd go with the Berk or the Heavy Mountain.  Stay away from the Light Mountain.  It's too much of a crap shoot on getting a good runner. 

~ Matt

Modutrak.com

elnscale

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 112
  • Respect: +1
    • Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
0
I have an Erie-badged Kato Mikado. Excellent for pulling passenger excusions - which is its main job on my railroad (circa 1967-8):


Steve
Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
www.scrantonstation.com

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
0
If you decide on the Bachmann 2-8-0, I have an undecorated one w/DCC that I don't need. 


Jason

Big4Man

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 154
  • "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time..."
  • Respect: +1
Re: First mainline steam purchase - suggestions
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
0
I vote for the Connie!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/western_maryland_scenic_railroad/3625849620/in/photostream

deco with the WM fireball or B&M late version

Great looking all aound reliable steamer and room for sound  8)

disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Bachmann or Lee Weldon....