Author Topic: How LOW can you GO?  (Read 1863 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bryan9

  • Guest
How LOW can you GO?
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
0
An advantage of N scale, it's said, is its potential to pack a lot of track into tight spaces. But what's an acceptable minimum radius? There are as many opinions on this matter as there are N scalers, I am sure, but I'm interested in running 85' passenger consists without them looking ridiculous. When I say "ridiculous," I have two things in mind: overhang and offset between the ends of lengthy passenger cars.

1. Overhang... the radius is so tight that the middle of the car hangs out past the width of the ties, to the point that an 85' passenger car looks toy-like. For me, a radius of 12.5 inches is going too far, because you can see the outside rail when you look straight down the side of the car:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Pf-xTR-XPL1LaiVyrHVHK6jRXJ57668QI4U306rwdio?feat=directlink

A minimum radius of 13.75" produces a lot of overhang, but at least you can't see the outside rail. So I'm going to assume that I might be able to go with a 13.75" minimum radius. I am of course aware that, to some, the overhang still looks ridiculous, and larger radii are needed. But hey, it's my railroad.

But there's another problem!

2. Lateral offset of car ends... this produces the "toy train" look when a consist enters a curve.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XRzCRWwEWZSlpGP2U-cwEqjRXJ57668QI4U306rwdio?feat=directlink




You can eliminate Problem #2 with easements, we're told. An easement starts a curve gradually, increasing the radius until the radius of the curve is attained. To create an easement, your curve broadens as it joins with the straight track (tangent)... this is called the offset. In addition, the curved portion of the track will be somewhat lengthened at each end. Let's call this the length extension.

The following picture shows two curves leading to tangent (straight) track: A 12.5" curve without an easement, and a 13.75" curve with an easement. Note the offset and length extension in the curve with an easement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xT4ts_0HBCcHugHg30lPrajRXJ57668QI4U306rwdio?feat=directlink

My question is very simple: How much offset do I need, and how long must the length extension be, in order to avoid Problem #2 with 85' passenger cars?

As anyone who has studied this matter will no doubt attest, the model railroading literature concerning easements is full of formulae, intonations, incantations, quotations from Authorities, rules of thumb, and magical procedures.

But my inspiration comes from John Armstrong, who noted that ridiculously tight curves look good as long as you construct good easements.

My approach is empirical. To heck with theory. I just experimented until I got what I wanted -- a smooth transition from straight track to a 13.75" radius without ANY lateral offset between 2 85' passenger cars:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gYoVyhzWgQDm7u-YvcaV9KjRXJ57668QI4U306rwdio?feat=directlink

I found that I could not achieve my aim (eliminating Problem #2) without an offset of 1.25" for a 13.75" curve. In addition, I needed a length extension about as long as Kato passenger car: 6.75".

I also found that the offset between the two cars is EXTRAORDINARILY sensitive to seemingly minor irregularities in the gradual build-up of the easement curve. I learned that I'll need to test every easement to make sure I've got it right before gluing the track in place.

From this inquiry, I learned that -- in a pinch -- I can use a 13.75" radius without risk of what, to me, would look unacceptably toy-like, so long as the overhand isn't readily visible. I'll go with 15R as a minimum for highly visible areas, preferring broader radii if I've room.

--Bryan

The photographs in this post are the author's, and they are expressly released to the public domain for the benefit of other modelers.

mecgp7

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 746
  • Respect: +278
Re: How LOW can you GO?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
0
Bryan,
Thanks for walking us through your process. Nothing wrong with a little trial and error once in a while.  Your post also shows very nicely how easements look and how the cars look going through them. Well done.
CG

bryan9

  • Guest
Re: How LOW can you GO?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
0
CG, thanks for your post -- and for recognizing what I was trying to accomplish:  illustrating John Armstrong's point about how good easements allow the use of somewhat tighter radii and showing how I came up with an offset and extension length. I posted an earlier version of  this on another site, setting off a long series of responses about how you absolutely cannot go lower than 18", 36", etc. -- with nary a word about easements!  --Bryan

nkalanaga

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 10593
  • Respect: +1771
Re: How LOW can you GO?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:06:21 AM »
0
A rule of thumb I once read was that the easement should be as long as the longest car.  Your results seem to match that.
N Kalanaga
Be well

MVW

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1485
  • Respect: +396
Re: How LOW can you GO?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
0
Bryan, your 1.25" offset is interesting, considering I've often seen .25" mentioned as the preferred offset. But it's not hard to imagine that -- like all things related to curves -- bigger is better. At least from a visual standpoint.

Jim