Author Topic: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?  (Read 2982 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Kisatchie

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4180
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +63
Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
0
I'm sure most of us have had moments where we temporarily went nuts and did something railroad-related that wasn't conducive to good mental health.

My most recent experience was when I bought 125+ Intermountain kits on ebay, starting in March and ending last week. Jeez, trying to put on all those tiny reefer hatch latches and grab irons is making me crazy!


Hmm... nope, not going
there... ain't saying a
thing...


Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

MichaelWinicki

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2096
  • Respect: +335
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
0
Oh yes.

Purchasing like 15 of the BLMA gons without first checking to see what the date was going to be on the PC painted ones– ouch!

And then finding out the wheelsets on those cars, with their narrow treads were more of a "swing and a miss"– double ouch!

A scenery related "what was I thinking" was buying too many "scenery-clusters" off of eBay... You know those folks who at one time bought everything Woodland Scenics ever made in scenery and then either didn't build a layout or decided that doing scenery sucked.  The result was they would put everything on eBay for a cheap price. 

I ended up with way too many things I would never use (like canisters of "snow") and umpteen bags of lichen (good if this was the 1980's).  I didn't even try selling that stuff.  Just gave it a way to a local club.

The bottom line is that I should have simply ordered the stuff I wanted and forgotten about eBay.

TrainCat2

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2014
  • Gender: Male
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +932
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
0
Every time I post here . . .   :trollface:

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »
0
Every time I post here . . .   :trollface:

I was going to say every time I touch anything in my basement...
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

PAL_Houston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 823
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +17
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
0
Every time I post here . . .   :trollface:

There.  There.  Seems like most of the time you post you're telling us you made another something really cool out of etched something or another. 

And we don't think you're crazy at all.  :D
Regards,
Paul

bc6

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:07:01 PM »
0
1) I made the mistake of trying to cram an entire town between my engine facility and intermodal yard. In the end I wound up going town less with less headaches.


2) Thinking that I'd never need DCC (what a joke).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:13:20 PM by bc6 »

Jim Starbuck

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1063
  • Respect: +3143
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
0
Oh yeah, marriage #1 and marriage #2.
I think I might have gotten it right this time.
Remember, nothing stupid ever starts out dumb.
I purchased an OMI 3 truck shay in "kit form" a few years ago.
Guess how far along that project is?
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:28:45 PM »
0
Oh yeah, marriage #1 and marriage #2.

+1

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
0
Marriage #1 and jumping out of an airplane

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »
0
23 years ago I bought some Pennsy stuff.  :facepalm:

Jason

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »
0
23 years ago I bought some Pennsy stuff.  :facepalm:

Jason
don't worry, I have4 50ft modern AT&SF box cars....we all make mistakes

elnscale

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 112
  • Respect: +1
    • Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:50 PM »
0
2 months ago I bought a spray booth from Micromark (they had an extra 20% or 25% off), which is still in its packaging along with another unopened box with the extra filters etc in it.

This goes well with the one year old unopened box which contains the spray gun etc. Ah, but I did open the air compressor box which came at the same time and check that worked!

Sometime I'll get ready to try it all out in my finished basement. Or not.

Yup, what was I thinking?
Steve
Erie Lackawanna N-Scale Modelling
www.scrantonstation.com

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:44:08 AM »
0
Buying a E-60CP and Amfleet cars for $30 on "The Bay" without reading the description first, only to find out that after I paid for it it need major work.   :facepalm: :oops:
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2655
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 02:04:59 AM »
0
+1
+2

Oh and every time I think about my geared locomotives I built, although, those ended up turning out ok.
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

jnevis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 760
  • Gender: Male
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
Re: Ever Have a "What Was I Thinking" Moment?
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 05:54:23 AM »
0
Buying a E-60CP and Amfleet cars for $30 on "The Bay" without reading the description first, only to find out that after I paid for it it need major work.   :facepalm: :oops:

I have a B-mann 70 tonner bought the same way, in HO :facepalm:
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.