Author Topic: Another source for elevator parts?  (Read 3827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kalbert

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 459
  • Respect: 0
Another source for elevator parts?
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »
0
I think this gets asked about from time to time but... I'm wondering if there's anything else available for elevator legs in N scale. I know of the Rix one, and I believe the Walthers Medusa Cement kit has a bigger, but somewhat crude one in it. Are there any others? Anybody built their own out of something else, from scratch or seen one? I'm looking for a little variety, show me some elevator legs!

spookshow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2174
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2468
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Another source for elevator parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
0
I used the top of a Rix leg for this one and then just built the rest out of styrene sticks -



The prototype -



Cheers,
-Mark

kalbert

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 459
  • Respect: 0
Re: Another source for elevator parts?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
0
Good looking stuff there sir, though I think I've made that comment about other parts of your Sunrich complex before. Thinking more about this and looking around today, there's not a whole heck of a lot of variety in the real things, and certainly not much detail that would stand out on a model. If you've seen one you've seen them all. The only real determinable difference between any of them seems to be how tall it they are and what color they're painted, or galvanized.

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Another source for elevator parts?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
0
I have said this before - what we really need in N Scale is Walther's Modern Grain Series with the legs etc. to provide the means of modelling a modern grain complex.

Having said that, the best way to get this done now is probably to have it 3D printed.  I have had a few bins done as i needed some with hte discharge cone at the bottom, and others for which no one offered the correct diameter.  The legs can be fashioned from styrene fairly easily, and Gold Medal Models makes the ladder cages which you usually see on them.


Tim


T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

PaulP

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 71
  • Respect: +28
Re: Another source for elevator parts?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:51 AM »
0
Here is an old SNFF picture I posted a long time back.
As for the grain silos, you might recognize the one on the far right is made by Rix. The small one next to that I turned out of styrene rod on a lathe and the others are all wood dowel wraped in thin styrene. All of the grain elevators, walkways and railings were built up with styrene and I used some Gold Metal saftey cage ladders in a few spots. Not that difficult to do really.