Author Topic: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats  (Read 3734 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
0
Got my trash flats from Atlas today.

These are classified as being in the "Trainman" product line (the box is labeled "Trainman Plus").  The detail on these however easily qualify it for the Master line, without question.  All-diecast flatcar with extensive relief, stand-alone wire grab irons and plastic brake hardware, new blackened metal wheels with small flanges and prototypical wheel faces, body-mounted Accu-Mate couplers.  The only detail missing is the brakeline between the ratchet and the cylinder.   There are tiny mounting holes on the deck for the containers that serve as container pedestals and are barely noticeable when unloaded.  The trash containers have little pins on the bottom that press fit tightly into the pedestal holes.  At first, I was concerned that they would break off when the container is removed, but they come apart with little effort.  It appears the coupler pocket has no provision for the MTL centering pin, but I didn't take one apart to confirm.

This is an outstanding model.  The only complaint I have is a non-railroad one:  I wish the box nest would allow the model to be stored with the containers installed, but it is designed to hold the car and four containers in separate cavities.  Obviously it is to prevent paint rubs between the parts during shipping, so better that than the alternative.    And if the cars remain out on the layout, this becomes academic.

I picked up the three black Allied flats.  One includes four containers and two come empty.  Atlas already is sold out of many of the stand-alone containers, so I'll have to try to find the four-packs of gray containers on the outside.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:09:50 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »
0
Did they come with the smell :D

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
0
Glad to hear - mine are on the way still...   

Can easily add the smell if you want, sounds like a great aftermarket business!

https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »
0
Mine are on the way. Ordered all the Allied ones as well.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
0
Sounds like a very cool model from Atlas, Brian and Ian. Enjoy them! As for myself, I passed on them because I had purchased a few of the nscalekit units.
TMM

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »
0
I just need some help finding out what the earlier roadnames were other than Allied from Beacon Park.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:04:35 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

conrailthomas519

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 343
  • Gender: Male
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +13
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
0
Ian, try these prefixes of know trash containers, AWIX, ECXX, EPIC, ESDX, GCCX, GFLX, GLMX, JAIX, and NJRX. All can be researched on rrpicturearchives.net
TMM

up1950s

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9967
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2887
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
0
Did they come with the smell :D

In each container add a morsel of anchovie or tuna . Add a few itty bitty holes on high and hobble the cat .
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:55:04 PM by up1950s »


Richie Dost

CONRAIL FAN

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +12
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
0
Did Conrail haul any of these type of cars with their trash around 1998? I do remember seeing Red spine cars with EPIC containers on them. These models I cannot find anything on execpt only recent NS stuff.
JEROME

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
0
Mine just arrived. Very impressive cars.

I'm going to have to modify the jewel case insert so that I can put them in the box with the containers on the cars. I dont want to keep taking them on and off.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

FrankCampagna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 999
  • Respect: 0
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
0
Are these cars all metal, or plastic?

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
0
The flat cars are all metal except for some of the detail parts.  The containers are plastic.  New low-ride-height trucks, new metal wheels (wheel face similar to BLMA), body-mounted couplers.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5404
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »
0
The flat cars are all metal except for some of the detail parts.  The containers are plastic.  New low-ride-height trucks, new metal wheels (wheel face similar to BLMA), body-mounted couplers.

Similar to BLMA?  Is it a match to FVM?

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:03 PM »
0
Did Conrail haul any of these type of cars with their trash around 1998? I do remember seeing Red spine cars with EPIC containers on them. These models I cannot find anything on execpt only recent NS stuff.

I know CR did run some trash flats through Philly on the Riverline, I would assume it was these.  Maybe some of our resident Philly area gurus ::cough:: (Drew, Sean, Ed) ::cough:: on all things CR can chime in on this.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Atlas Trainman(??) trash flats
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
0
Similar to BLMA?  Is it a match to FVM?

The truck frame design looks similar to the BLMA trucks.  The wheel faces look more similar I think to BLMA than FVM.  The wheel backs are flat.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale