Author Topic: Athearn announces...  (Read 5521 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Athearn announces...
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
0
Nothing in N ----  They were nice and answered my FB posting though - re-runs of the big steamers coming in 2013.

So if you were waiting for any Athearn stuff - FORGET IT!

https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

CBQ Fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3531
  • Respect: +391
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
0
I had thought they had already publically announced this awhile back, due to their supplier going bankrupt and having to find a new producer.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
0
Athearn 
news was tooling recovery and nothing but Genesis production for 2012.  Expectations met...
Support fine modeling

Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
0
I was beginning to wonder if they had given up on N.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:33:48 PM »
0
I know it's nothing new, except the bad news is that you would think they would start SCHEDULING some N production at some point. I'm guessing the only profitable thing they've done in N are the UP steamers, so personally I would look at this as very bad news overall.

https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12295
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11804
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
0
That's a shame, too...  Athearn had some other great models in N scale too, like the bay-window caboose and their PS2 hopper.  I have quite a few Athearn cars on the layout.

Hyperion

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 992
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +19
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
0
In their latest press release they said that it would take the remainder of 2012 to even make "substantial progress" on getting their previous molds back into production.  I doubt they're even remotely considering bringing new products to light (that aren't Genesis) when they won't even be producing all their old ones for the better part of a year.  Maybe come Summer for late Spring 2013 delivery we'll see something.

I doubt profitability was a major concern for them.  I don't see a ton of inventory sitting around of their stuff, and virtually none of any of their newly-tooled items.  Some of their old tooling (can't remember who they bought that stuff from off the top of my head) and their first couple releases years ago didn't sell well (like the F59s).  But their new stuff seems to sell quite or even very well -- or perhaps no one's ordering it at all and that's why I'm not seeing it.  But the demand I see when I bid on their stuff on eBay would seem to indicate people want it.  If they didn't make a profit, it's simply because they didn't make enough or charge enough.  Not because it didn't sell.
-Mark

Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »
0
.I was told by an Athearn Rep when they first announced the N sclae line that they would be doing everything in N they did in HO. They didnt meet that standard, but some really cool stuff did come out. The Mack R Models alone are a success for me.
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
0
I really like a lot of Athearn's stuff - the cabooses, the LPG and Ethanol tanks, the recent smaller hoppers - and I also think they did a great job with the former MDC models as well....   I'd be happy with re-runs of the LPG cars at this point! :)
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

TiVoPrince

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5156
  • Respect: +4
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
0
Can't 
find many of the F59PHI, Bombardier sets, SD70s, Lpg tankers or a lot of bay widows on LHS shelves.  That may not speak so much to profitability, but it does indicate velocity of stock turnover.  Athearn products appear to sell well and are not overproduced to the point that they languish forever and get dumped at the  manufacturer or distributor level.  I'm expecting Athearn to announce reruns of models when they have thier ducks in a row and can provide a reasonable estimate of delivery dates. 

C-50-* cabeese in orange step rebuild paint, LPG/ethanol tanks, and maybe even supersteamers might still be in my future...
Support fine modeling

mplsjct

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 506
  • Respect: +452
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
0
The bay window caboose and the two bay center flows are great models, I really like their vehicles, too.

Recently, Athearn added metal wheels to their N scale line, I can't imagine they would abandon us, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we get more product from them.

Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I’m not here to argue

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
0
I was told by an Athearn Rep when they first announced the N sclae line that they would be doing everything in N they did in HO. ...

There was a significant management change 'tween then and now. And that notwithstanding, they're certainly allowed to adjust their business plan as circumstances change.

I was told in no uncertain terms by an Athearn rep back in January of this year that they were not considering anything new in N due to [that old chestnut] "three times the potential market in HO". Then a coupla' months later, they announce the big steam re-runs. Hmm. So... no telling what their long term plans are.

And, besides, everybody got crapped on by the China supplier mess, 'cept maybe Kato. I'm certainly not driving any nails into the Athearn N-scale coffin.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Wlal13again

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +47
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »
0
There was a significant management change 'tween then and now. And that notwithstanding, they're certainly allowed to adjust their business plan as circumstances change.

I thought that was quite ambitious of them to say that in the first place..I really never expected it to happen..
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »
0
You can't spell Athearn without N, but you don't need it for 'future releases'  :facepalm:

OaklandScottie

  • Guest
Re: Athearn announces...
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »
0
Dang.

I was really impressed with two 40' 2600 CF hoppers I snagged.

Hope they come back next year.