Author Topic: Metroliners  (Read 5162 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RAILCAT

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 146
  • Respect: +8
Metroliners
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
0
It is a long long time since Bachmann made the Metroliners
in Amtrak and PC.
Time for a re-tooled version or tidied up shell and new chassis?

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6658
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »
0
I don't think a simple mold cleanup or freshening-up would be good enough to get them up to the current N scale standard (or modelers expectations). Remember, those looked like crude toys.  I woudl imagine that Bachmann would have to start from ground-up on those.

. . . 42 . . .

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
0
While they are at it, I will take a retooled E-60CP
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
0
While they are at it, I will take a retooled E-60CP

That would be nice, especially in UnDec
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
0
While they are at it, I will take a retooled E-60CP

I just want an AEM7. We have (almost) everything else in N-scale related to electrics except this one,

Phil
- Phil

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
0
I just want an AEM7. We have (almost) everything else in N-scale related to electrics except this one.

We're not even close to seeing most electrics replicated in N.  There are far fewer N electrics than N steam for example.  But yes it would be nice to see an AEM7.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46:45 PM »
0
I would not be surprised to see Metroliners from Kato someday....
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

jmlaboda - RIP

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2181
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
0
"I would not be surprised to see Metroliners from Kato someday...."

I would about guess that it would be easier for them to do the Metra and NIDC gallery e.m.u.'s since they are so similar to the gallery cars that they currently offer...

esa123

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 109
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
0
I just want an AEM7. We have (almost) everything else in N-scale related to electrics except this one,

Phil

Couldn't agree more!

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6658
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
0
We're not even close to seeing most electrics replicated in N.  There are far fewer N electrics than N steam for example.  But yes it would be nice to see an AEM7.

Bryan,
isn't AEM7 based on some European engine?  Wouldn't one of the European N scale manufacturers already have produced a model of the loco AEM7 is based on?
. . . 42 . . .

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »
0
Bryan,
isn't AEM7 based on some European engine?  Wouldn't one of the European N scale manufacturers already have produced a model of the loco AEM7 is based on?

AEM7 was based on the Swedish Rc4 locomotive.  I thought one of the Euro-N-scale companies made that at one point.  Closest thing I can find on a quick search is the Austrian Federal Railways 1044.  Maybe if we can find a close enough chassis someone can make up shells at Shapeways?

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
0
Actually, the RC4 is closer to the OeBB 1043.  Fleischmann has one  in their catalog, which means absolutely nothing in terms of availability.  The 1044/1144 was made by Roco - who bought out Fleischmann and then merged their N-scale lines into one (Fleischmann) - however the 1044 has not been announce for anytime soon.    You can get some on Ebay.DE though....

Either could be a reasonable basis for a new shell, although I wonder if there are Japanese E-loks which could be used, given the shell will be tossed.

The Roco 1044 - at least the latest version - is a very smooth running loco, btw...   DCC conversion I am told - is not a piece of cake on these.



- Lou

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:22:40 PM by ljudice »
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos

pwnj

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 402
  • Gender: Male
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
0
Roco also made a German DB class 112 that has a pretty decent looking chassis.  The trucks are even similar (three big springs in the middle of the axles).  I think if we can get someone to do the legwork, a decent shell can be made and a pretty good looking AEM7 can be had.  Of course, you could also try to jam one of those cheap junk AEM7 shells from Newray onto a decent chassis. Almost good enough for 2-foot modeling, with a little help anyway.

UPDATE: OK, Roco did in fact make the Rc4.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:41:44 PM by pwnj »

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35316
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6658
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
0
How about Arnold http://www.tee-usa.com/store/product30892.html ? Those might actually be in stock.  Or http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Trix/12533.aspx ?  That one is in stock and on sale!
. . . 42 . . .

ljudice

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3390
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +271
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Metroliners
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
0
If anyone wants to MODEL NEXT YEAR's NE Corridor, you should know that the AEM-7's, HHP8's  and almost everything else is supposed to start getting replaced with Vectron locomotives, which like the NJT ALP46's are ALMOST stock European locomotives - and they are available in N-scale.  I believe the Acela sets are also due to be completely rebuilt BTW...

Unfortunately there are external differences, I believe due to US crash worthiness regs...

I think they're called Citysprinters or something here...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_Cities_Sprinter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:29:03 PM by ljudice »
https://louisjudice.com - Photography and my Amazing AI Music Videos