Author Topic: Layout height  (Read 3462 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Flatrat

  • Guest
Layout height
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:26 PM »
0
I'm getting to the benchwork stage of my layout plans, pondering all aspects therof. The space i have is 5' x 8'. I will need to be able to reach to the back of it, maybe from a step stool etc. so i can't have it too high, but I'm puzzling over the best height for viewing N scale trains. I realize this is a subjective question and each modeler may prefer a different height/perspective. With my garden train stuff it's not much of a question...the stuff runs on, or slightly above...the ground. With this N scale layout I have a choice though. I'm curious what other folks feel is a good height from the floor to run/view N scale models. I wonder if some folks prefer to see it closer to eye level or if it looks more realistic to view it from above.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19622
  • Respect: +6939
Re: Layout height
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
0
I built my layout about 3" lower than my eyes. It is higher than most. The only thing is I wished my ceiling was higher.

Edit: My track is at 59.5".
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:04:17 PM by Chris333 »

Roger Holmes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1271
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +739
Re: Layout height
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
0
44 inches but if I was starting over I would go at least 48.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

PAL_Houston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 823
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +17
Re: Layout height
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
0
I am 6'2", and my subroadbed is 52 inches above floor level.  This means that the layout is basically chest-high to me.   I am everywhere within 2 feet of the back edge of the layout, and  I can get to everything, but have to be careful when I reach for stuff at the back not to start knocking stuff around that is towards the front.

In your case you probably need to go lower:  even if you retain access to all 4 sides of your  5 x 8 you are gonna have to stretch to reach everything, and that will definitely be easier with a somewhat lower subroadbed level...  then you can bend at the waist  to reach further over the layout..... and that may be your limiting consideration.

Let us know what you decide!!
Regards,
Paul

bc6

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 281
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
Re: Layout height
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »
0
Right now I have my layout 3 feet above my floor because I havent ordered any legs for my layout. Id like to get the layout about waist high, Im 5'11" in height. I think if I had it any taller Id be knocking things over left and right, my layout is against a wall as well.

packers#1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1628
  • Gender: Male
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +904
Re: Layout height
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
0
I have my current layout at 4 feet, and I really miss having it at 3 feet, which is a great height to work on them, and then you can sit in a computer chair and be at track level. it also makes photograaphy easier since one tripod will get you up, level, and down angles
Sawyer
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

MVW

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1485
  • Respect: +396
Re: Layout height
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
0
I'm 6-foot-1, and the layout is 49 inches off the floor. I'm using 30"-wide HCDs, and that's really pushing it for that kind of height. I have access to both long sides of the HCDs during construction; they go up against the wall when they're finished. I wouldn't dream of going with that width at that height without access from both sides. Maintenance may prove to be a problem for me in the long run, but so far so good.

Jim

Flatrat

  • Guest
Re: Layout height
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »
0
All good observations. Thanks!! I'm 6'1", arms are about 31", my layout will be 'landlocked' from all but the front side and I was worried if I had it too high I would not be able to reach to the back to service trains or reach other details. Initially I was thinking it should be about 4' high but after reading other's experiences I may drop it to the height of the window sill in my basement room where it will live which is about 38" and kind of flow with the room trim.

I'm building a 4x8 frame that will sit on brackets mounted on the wall and building the layout in two modules [4x4 or 4x5] to float on top of the frame so if i move someday, it will be easier to relocate the layout to the new home. I think the best thing is to build the frame and see how that feels and remove it and raise or lower the supports on the walls accordingly. I need to be able to clean the rails not just reach to the back to put a derailed car back on the track. The layout will have to support my weight for the occasional 'lean on' too I figure.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:28:11 AM by Flatrat »

babbo_enzo

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 200
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
Re: Layout height
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 05:23:06 AM »
0
Well, I'm 5,60' high ( 1,75 mt)
and have set layout from 1,20 meters to 1,30 ( more or less 4' to 4,3', or 48-51" from floor )
Benchwork is max 24-25" to reach all tracks and manually uncouple cars.
Using "bar-like" high chairs you have a track-level vision, and when operating standing on floor a "blackbird-like" vision :)
Wiring under was comfortable too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:25:10 AM by babbo_enzo »

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6765
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Layout height
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »
0
Hmm, I think you're really asking for trouble if you're looking to build a 5x8' layout that only has access from one edge because the rear of the layout won't be accessible at any benchwork height unless you plan to crawl on the layout, which will quickly become problematic.

The Tehachapi Loop shelf on my layout is similar to your plan: it's 5 and a half feet deep and it spans the distance between the two side walls for a total of 10' in width.  Here's an overview, taken a few months ago:



Here, the track height rises from 57" on the right to 65" on the left (I am 6'0"), but I have included two access points in the shelf so that no track is more than a ~24" reach: one to the left of the Loop, and one inside the right horseshoe.  These are very easy to access with a modest duck-under. I would encourage you to plan for something similar in your pike, which would argue for a fairly high benchwork height.  You could potentially put pop-out scenery hatches over the access holes.

-Gary

rickb773

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 601
  • Gender: Male
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +1062
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
Re: Layout height
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
0
6'1" with 16" shelf layout that is currently 49" high.
I plan to raise it +6"

rogergperkins

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 854
  • Gender: Male
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: Layout height
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »
0
IMHO there are a couple of factors to consider:
1. how tall are you?
2. can this be an island layout accessible from all 4 sides?

My layout, by default, is 43"; that is only because I re-used a module from a previous layout which was accessible from all (4) sides.  That is too high now because I am about 5' 9" tall and must stand on a small stool to reach some areas in the layout.

I am also 72+ years old, so hope to use foldable banquet table leg system for the next layout to facilitate access to all parts.  I have an adjustable bar stool I sit on to run trains, so I can still sit at eye-level.
PS: I wear 32" sleeve length shirt, thus have short arms.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Layout height
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
0
Yours will require you to be able to reach the back of the layout so it will have to be lower than you may want.

On my layouts the height has ranged from 54.5" to 56".
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Flatrat

  • Guest
Re: Layout height
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
0
Hmm, I think you're really asking for trouble if you're looking to build a 5x8' layout that only has access from one edge because the rear of the layout won't be accessible at any benchwork height unless you plan to crawl on the layout, which will quickly become problematic.

-Gary

I agree Gary and I'm thinking now that I will squeeze it in the middle to a distance I can easily reach the back wall and better reach to the corners. Sort of a 4x8 'C' shape.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:09:35 PM by Flatrat »

central.vermont

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2627
  • Gender: Male
  • Jon
  • Respect: +148
Re: Layout height
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 04:05:02 AM »
0
On my layouts the height has ranged from 54.5" to 56".

Isn't that just above your line of sight.  :D :D

Jon